Have any of you had a hard time finding...

My place of employment has been looking for a long
time also, just for two technicians. Just show some
experience and pass the (kinda hard though) multi-skill
test. I started there about 7 months ago.

I asked our plant Engineer to check out this thread/site.
Maybe he'll post the job here. I asked HR if I could but
they said no.

I wish they would hurry up and get someone so I can get
back on third shift so I can spend some time with my son.

Hi guys,

I though I might add to the topic. I think I may have mentioned in a previous thread sometime back "there are electricans and then there are electricans " . Yes most sparkys just want to run cables and fit off switches and power points etc. I am an electrician by trade with advanced trades certificate and I have always believed that you owe it to yourself to continually upskill.
I served my apprenticeship with a contractor and can appreciate how hard it can be to get the boss to let you have time off for training courses. In 1984 when I completed my apprenticeship I was lucky in that I landed a position with Pilkington Brothers, they are a manufacturer of automotive and safety glass, at the time the company was in the process of installing the first of a number of AB PL2/30 controllers.The company was a strong believer in giving all the electricians training. I left this company to go and work for Heidelberg they manufacture and supply printing and binding equipment.PLCs were practically unheard of in the printing industry.
These days I work for my self servicing the pring and automation fields.Any training I have since undertaken I have had to pay for.I have met a number of electricans who think that because they have done a one day PLC basic course that they know everything I have had to deal with the aftermath of one of these so called experts.It takes a certain individual who is prepared to make some sacrifice in order to acheive the greater rewards in the long term.

Thankyou all

So what is the hourly rate being offered in the states for PLC programmers. Might have to get a team of us British lads to come over.

job entry...

Ive noticed that many of the programmers here origonated as electrical guys. I came into it from the other end. My job here was started as a network planner, and then sys admin. Worked on databases, ERP, websites, server maintenance, etc. Then, one day out PLC guy quit, and they said "hey, u know computers!". Well, 5 years later im still the PLC guy, and having spent many months helping to start up systems in the field, I am now a fairly compotent electrician. Ive wired AC control, DC control, 4-20ma loops, thermocouples, DC motors, AC motors, variable frequency drives, high voltage, low voltage, etc... I find the eletical part of it to be a nice change, I get so tired of sitting at a desk and staring at a screen after a while...

Matt

Hi Barnschop,
Don't buy that ticket just yet, unless you can figure out how to buy food for the family with peanuts..........and petrol with B%$# S%$#!!!!!!!

David

Really though, I think its time for the MacDonalds test...how about 4 big macs and a large fry in my area.

beerchug and maybe one of these.

If you want to make a silk purse from a sows ear it helps to start with a silk sow.

Screening for people who don't mind learning usually eliminates 99 out of 100 "qualified" applicants. It's probably easier to hire the overtrained and underpaid techs who have proven their capability to learn and adapt (like Navy Nucs and others) and give them the job specific skills.

barnschop said:
So what is the hourly rate being offered in the states for PLC programmers. Might have to get a team of us British lads to come over.

Somewhere in the low to mid twenty dollar range in my area.

If anyone is higher, let me know, I'M MOVIN' THERE!!! ... ;)

David_Emmerich said:
Really though, I think its time for the MacDonalds test...how about 4 big macs and a large fry in my area.

Here I can buy 9 Big Macs before taxes, or 5 after. I guess it's pretty close. I don't think you can use this method in Hawaii though, Big Macs are worth thier weight in gold at Waikiki.......

Hi all. I'm new to the site, and fairly new to plc's. I'm a former Navy Nuc, and it's been tough to find a position where I could start learning to program. At 46 years old, it's getting harder to convince someone to give you a leg up. With Washingtons down economy, I've ended up in the lumber industry, and my new boss wants to send me to an A-B class! :D
Done a few modifications on different plc's, per other programmers instructions, have been reading everything I could get my hands on, written a couple of simple programs and working on a couple of others. The interesting thing is, during various interviews for work over the last few years, most places expect to contract out to independant contractors. I hope to improve myself so I can improve my marketability. Heck, I like learning. I'd probably die of boredom if I did'nt learn something new every day. Apparently, from what some of you have said, and what I've seen, that attitude is'nt as common as I thought it would be.
Paradym, my area is'nt that high unless you've got the full license.

I have been in touch with a fellow that used to work with me, he is at craft status and has installed and programmed PLCs and HMIs for many years yet he tells me that he can't buy a job in Ohio. I worked with this guy and he really put in the hours, if you were to calculate his pay, by the hour, it would work out to be about two bucks an hour. He attended every PLC school that A-B had to offer and worked hard to pass that knowledge on to other workers. He has relayed to me that he has put in his resume for PLC jobs that offer $8-$10 per hour and never received a call, go figure. I have no answers for him but it may just be a sign of the times. :unsure:

Roger

Hey barnschop

I have a mate who recently married an American lady an immigrated to the west coast of America. He landed a job with a company that looks after the electrical maintanence in a large plant running PLC 5s, he earns $20.00 US per hour and only gets one weeks annual leave per year that stinks. He is an extremely good programmer and trouble.

Don't give up the job you currently have for the US!

Thanks all !!!!!

The response has been great, some good, interesting and insightful posts.

To pour salt in the wound, I'm short handed and they just let go of one of my electricians here, seems like -
"Take 1 step forward and 5 back" banghead

David_Emmerich said:
Let me guess...they let him go for poor attendence ????bain of many good employees.
David

Nope, the market is off/slow and we went through another "Work Force Reduction" (e.i. - cut backs)

Programmer to Engineer

How about the other angle? Programmer to Engineer?

Most programmers I talk to about PLCs are very eager to learn them. They know there is a market out there, they just don't have the resources (the PLCS, the training, the money, etc) to begin the learning process.

The cons to my position are that I have no prior electrical experience. So everyday I have a list of questions to ask my smarty engineer/electrician co-workers. I have to say, they have put up with my ignorance with a lot of grace so far. But there are a lot of things I never knew about: voltages, relays, inputs, outputs, etc. I have to say, I believe both the Engineers that work here could have done my job themselves, they were just afraid to mess with the programming aspect of it.

Basically, what I do right now is just have them make adjustments to the drawings... I then match those drawings up with the ladder code to see where I need to make programming changes. They tell me exactly what I need to add, I just go in and add it. I also take care of uploading the code to the PLC and creating the Panel screens. I think it's a good way to start, and as I become more familiar with the electrical terms and software features, I have been able to recognize where I can make changes to the code by myself.

Have to say, it would probably be a lot easier if I had a EE degree under my belt.