Have any of you had a hard time finding...

Guest,

It's more than supply and demand.

People who invest time and energy in learning a skill often find themselves operating on a different level from those who have not. I spend a fair amount of time trying to explain to managers what I am doing, and it's not easy. They don't have the right framework to understand it, and I often end up teaching them more than explaining to them.

What really drives me (and others, too) bonkers isn't those who don't understand - it's those who don't understand and DISMISS. It's the arrogant manager-types who assume because they don't know it, it must not be important.

You know who I'm talking about - we all do. We've all seen them, and a few of us have had the horrible misfortune to suffer under them, myself included. Like I said, I know how good I have it here.

The drips who treat our work like something any chimp could bang out with a keyboard and a hammer are the variable you don't take into account in your formula. Demand is skewed by misperception. Because the boss thinks any idiot could do your job, your pay is commiserate with any idiot's, regardless of the quality of your work.

And you'll take your check, swallow what remains of your pride, and keep going. Because you've got a family to feed, and the twit you work for is just stupid enough to make good his threat to replace you with any idiot.

TM

Last edited:
And you'll take your check, swallow what remains of your pride, and keep going. Because you've got a family to feed, and the twit you work for is just stupid enough to make good his threat to replace you with any idiot

That too is a result of supply and demand. If the demand for your skill set is too low, you either put up with the b******t or develop a new skill set. If the demand for your skill set is good, you find a better class of boss. Life is too short to spend it working at a job you hate or for an employer who doesn't (or can't) appreciate your efforts.

Any chimp...

The mangement's attitude was HEAVILY skewed towards wrench twisters, welders and machinists.

He would often say "You engineers are a dime a dozen". More than once I wanted to toss a quarter on the table and say "Then hire a dozen"

Never mind my having to crank out parts on the lathe and knee-mill. I wasn't even given a mechanic after I rebuilt a headstock in 2 days that took the chief mech 2 weeks.

Funny that use 'engineers' had full responibilty of the machine, from spec drawings for the toolheads, to ordering the gear/bearing replacements, ETC.

Yeh, 'any chimp can do it'. Jerks!

Rod (The CNC dude)

Electricians Bad, Technicians Good

The problem with 'Electrician' is that that label is under the heading 'Trade' in most circles. In Canada, that is the given name from the Ministry of 'Whatever'. This must stop.

Most kids go to University, and good for them. We have all walked off the plant floor, gone into the 'big wheel's' office, and realized this kid from University has no clue. We laugh, afterwords.

The Technologists/Technicians that come from College seem to have a much better grasp on real world technology.

The Electricians may or may not, have formal PLC training. The smart ones, and yes they are rare, have taken extra training and as stated before, may have a few grey hairs. I've worked with many Electricians, and very few 'get it'.

So it really depends on the person.

In my area, southern Ontario, Quinte, I know only a handfull of excellent programmers. I only know one that can do all of the wiring/calibrating/understanding as well. Maybe three.

It also depends on the industry that they are working in. Automation of 'mines' is very large here, but many other industries have a need for 'that' knowledge.

When the economy is slow, which it is not, and a customer wants a 70's vintage machine working with $1500.00 (about the same American), do you install a new PLC, spend a day tracing, or replace the really bad components to make that sucker work?

Anyhow,
Johnny

Re: Define 'electrician'

PLucas said:

Perhaps you better explain what you mean by 'electrician', I am classed as an electrician and I can assure you, I know what a PLC is and I can program / diagnose one.

Paul

Oops sorry didnt want to step on any toes here!

The electricians i refer to and come across in my neck of the woods are basically "House Bashers" they wire houses and do not even have much of a clue about 3 phase.

Re: Re: Define 'electrician'

504bloke said:

Oops sorry didnt want to step on any toes here!

The electricians i refer to and come across in my neck of the woods are basically "House Bashers" they wire houses and do not even have much of a clue about 3 phase.

There's no toes being stepped on!

I knew you meant 'house-bashers' when you used the term 'electrician' but others might not have.

Paul