Siemens TIA Portal v13 license

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We contracted a Siemens programmer to modify some software for us and do a start-up of the related job. He purchased the software and charged us for it because he didn't have v13 and needed it to modify the existing software. So we own the software - that isn't disputed.

Now we need the software to go to site to download a minor change to the HMI. He is willing to transfer the license but would like to avoid it because he then wouldn't be able to support us.

I've downloaded the .iso file and successfully installed it but it isn't licensed. The project file opened fine but when I attempted to open the relevant HMI screen, it said that no license was found and did I want to activate the trial license. I had the choice of STEP 7 or WinCC licenses to activate. It seemed I could only pick one, not both. I activated the WinCC trial license and the HMI screen opened successfully.

We're scheduled to go to site in 9 days time. I'm not the person who's going to site. So we need to install the software on a third PC.

Will this third installation be offered a trial license period?

Does the trial license offer full functionality for a limited time period, so that we'll be able to make the download next weekend?

If I have to transfer the license from our contractor to us, what is the procedure and can it be done remotely?

The contractor suggested ringing Siemens and telling them that the original PC was damaged and asking them for licensing information. I don't really want to do this as I don't like lying and I'm not very good at it. Any ideas what questions they'd ask me and what information I'd need if we decided to go this route.

Buying the software again, though it is obviously an option, isn't going to happen as our customer already owes us a 5-figure dollar sum from an invoice that's over 6-months past due and we're just trying to do enough to take away their objections to paying us, not that they're valid anyway.

The HMI part number is 6AV6647-0AF11-3AX0. Am I right in thinking that there is no option to download the program using a USB memory stick?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

We contracted a Siemens programmer to modify some software for us and do a start-up of the related job. He purchased the software and charged us for it because he didn't have v13 and needed it to modify the existing software. So we own the software - that isn't disputed.

Now we need the software to go to site to download a minor change to the HMI. He is willing to transfer the license but would like to avoid it because he then wouldn't be able to support us.

I've downloaded the .iso file and successfully installed it but it isn't licensed. The project file opened fine but when I attempted to open the relevant HMI screen, it said that no license was found and did I want to activate the trial license. I had the choice of STEP 7 or WinCC licenses to activate. It seemed I could only pick one, not both. I activated the WinCC trial license and the HMI screen opened successfully.

We're scheduled to go to site in 9 days time. I'm not the person who's going to site. So we need to install the software on a third PC.

Will this third installation be offered a trial license period?

Does the trial license offer full functionality for a limited time period, so that we'll be able to make the download next weekend?

If I have to transfer the license from our contractor to us, what is the procedure and can it be done remotely?

The contractor suggested ringing Siemens and telling them that the original PC was damaged and asking them for licensing information. I don't really want to do this as I don't like lying and I'm not very good at it. Any ideas what questions they'd ask me and what information I'd need if we decided to go this route.

Buying the software again, though it is obviously an option, isn't going to happen as our customer already owes us a 5-figure dollar sum from an invoice that's over 6-months past due and we're just trying to do enough to take away their objections to paying us, not that they're valid anyway.

The HMI part number is 6AV6647-0AF11-3AX0. Am I right in thinking that there is no option to download the program using a USB memory stick?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

1) The trials are fully featured, and last for 21 days.

2) For remote/offlne license transfer, see this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD4TKL1eaRA

If the two PCs are networked together, you can also move the license over the network, which is much simpler than the offline transfer process.

3)From the part number, it looks like that is a 1st generation basic panel, which doesn't have a USB port. Even if it did, I'm not sure if you can do it via USB stick directly to the panel anyway. However, there is still a good download solution.

If you right click on the panel in WinCC, choose "HMI Device Maintenance" -> "Pack & Go". The pack and go file can be given to anyone, even if they don't have WinCC installed. When they run the file, it will allow them to execute the download to the panel. Its like creating an installer or a self executing zip file. This means that the engineer with the license can create the Pack & Go, and then you, with no license, can still perform the download.

Will programmers always be 'on-site' and on the network?

If so you could install automation license manager(ALM) on a PC with the license on it. Then the other PC's ALMs can point to this PC.

The licenses will then be leased by whatever PC requires them.

But this may not work if remote work is being done via VPN.

1) The trials are fully featured, and last for 21 days.

2) For remote/offlne license transfer, see this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD4TKL1eaRA

If the two PCs are networked together, you can also move the license over the network, which is much simpler than the offline transfer process.

3)From the part number, it looks like that is a 1st generation basic panel, which doesn't have a USB port. Even if it did, I'm not sure if you can do it via USB stick directly to the panel anyway. However, there is still a good download solution.

If you right click on the panel in WinCC, choose "HMI Device Maintenance" -> "Pack & Go". The pack and go file can be given to anyone, even if they don't have WinCC installed. When they run the file, it will allow them to execute the download to the panel. Its like creating an installer or a self executing zip file. This means that the engineer with the license can create the Pack & Go, and then you, with no license, can still perform the download.

That's great news. We may even be able to get the customer to do the update themselves using the Pack & Go method.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Will programmers always be 'on-site' and on the network?

If so you could install automation license manager(ALM) on a PC with the license on it. Then the other PC's ALMs can point to this PC.

The licenses will then be leased by whatever PC requires them.

But this may not work if remote work is being done via VPN.

No. We, our contract programmer and the end customer are on three different sites across the U.S. but thanks for the suggestion.

Licensing transfers with Siemens are dead easy. Makes Rockwell look rubbish (and it's not often I praise Siemens over Rockwell, let me tell you). It's literally a matter of plug in USB, drag license to USB. Done.

So, you could get your programmer to transfer the license to a USB and mail it to you (for the love of god get insurance and tracking), and then once you're done you can just mail it back.

But it looks like you have plenty of options, so that might not even be required :)

I think you got the answer you need to go ahead, I do think your contractor is being rude and unethical.

1. He charged you for the license, so it is yours. Then it should be in your possession. If he is once more contracted by you, you can loan him the license for that period.
2. Yes you can tell Siemens you lost the license and get a new one (often they deliver online), but to lie about it, just so the contractor can keep "his" license..

Just my two cents :)