Panasonic Toughbook won't hold connection to a processor

I've been searching around, but can't find an answer. This leans more towards the IT world, but my Panasonic Toughbook won't hold a connection to a processor via USB to Serial. Our facility doesn't have many micrologix or SLC 500s where it is a must to use this serial to usb, but like anything in our world: when I need it, I need it.

I can auto-configure and it says it's successful, and most of the time I can go straight online. It always loses communication with the processor prompting me to retry or go offline within just a few mins, then never reliably holds the connection. Occasionally, it will show a red x on the processor that I just auto-configured with, but after shutting down RSLogix 500 and RSLinx and restarting the programs, it will usually let me get online.

If it helps any, the ladder isn't spinning most of the time (and not truly showing the values in memory), but sometimes it is spinning just fine. Mostly when I first start the programs and go online does it appear to communicate fine, then it gets worse the longer I try to stay connected (30 mins or more and I might as well give up).

I can take another laptop and connect just fine using the same cable and usb to serial adapter. Any insight would be appreciated, as it is frustrating having to fight with your laptop while already fighting problems with your processes.

Next step is to fly another "enhanced programming terminal" in through one of our controls vendors after conveniencing management it's time for an upgrade if they want to keep things running.

My first step would be to reinstall the drivers for the USB to serial adaptor.

Also, check for any differences between the good laptops and the bad ones - Windows 7 vs Windows XP, 32 bit vs 64 bit, Service Packs, Windows Updates, etc.

My next move would be to drink beer and complain that it's 2017 for christ's sake, why am I still having to deal with serial ports? Doesn't help the problem, but it makes me feel better 🍻

Did you try a different usb/serial adapter? I know from experience that some of them doesnt work well with plc's. For me the best are the MOXA UPort 1110.