Panasonic Toughbook-52 question

Does it look unacceptable if you lower the resolution? As an aside, I've noticed that more and more consumer laptops are coming with large, bright, nice displays that max at rediculously low resolutions. These are from vendors who used to ship similar models with higher res displays. I'm willing to bet that this works out better for your "typical" user - doesn't make me all that happy, though.

surferb,

I didn't see a lower resolution setting that didn't make the screen look "stretched" or "Squished". It's probably just me. I am going to try a combination of DPI settings along with the font size setting under the "Apperance" tab of the display settings menu. I'll see if I can find a happy compromise.
BD

What exactly is the max resolution? Typically your options include aspect ratios that are widescreen or not, so some are much worse than other. With TVs it's 4:3 or 16:9, computer displays are different. See the bottom links on Wikepedia. You're probably on the right track if the ratio is the same.

If you're really picky you will notice that the highest (native) resolution always looks best with LCDs. Other resolutions are interpolated. In real life, especially with modern displays, lower resolutions often look great.

I would find the resolutions that look good on your laptop before going into the DPI settings. You're not going to want to use the "squished" ones. Also, depending on your drivers, some laptops will go to a higher resolution where the desktop scrolls. You probably don't want that either.

I'm sure you can find a setting that will work well for you!

bikerdude said:
surferb,

I didn't see a lower resolution setting that didn't make the screen look "stretched" or "Squished". It's probably just me. I am going to try a combination of DPI settings along with the font size setting under the "Apperance" tab of the display settings menu. I'll see if I can find a happy compromise.
BD

surferb,
I looked at it again today, the native resolution is 1920 / 1200. Wikpedia says that is WUXGA. Aspect ratio is 16x10, This is normally used on 23" to 28" displays. I wonder what they were thinking, attempting to cram 25" worth of pixels into a 15.4" screen. I will look again to see if any of the other 16x10 ratios are available.
1680x1050 = 16x10 = WSXGA+
1440x900 = 16x10 = WSXGA+ WIDE
1366x768 = 16x10 = WIDE XGA

BD

Wow - 19.2, I've never seen anything smaller than a 24" on the desk LCD go that high. Try Eric's recommendation. Anything that makes it acceptable at the max (native) resolution will look the best. Other than that, keeping the aspect ratio should minimize blurriness. Also make sure the refresh rate is at 60Hz unless someone really smart tells you otherwise.

bikerdude said:
surferb,
I looked at it again today, the native resolution is 1920 / 1200. Wikpedia says that is WUXGA. Aspect ratio is 16x10, This is normally used on 23" to 28" displays. I wonder what they were thinking, attempting to cram 25" worth of pixels into a 15.4" screen. I will look again to see if any of the other 16x10 ratios are available.
1680x1050 = 16x10 = WSXGA+
1440x900 = 16x10 = WSXGA+ WIDE
1366x768 = 16x10 = WIDE XGA

BD