Panasonic Toughbook-52 question

bikerdude

Hi,

Time to replace the laptop I use for PLC (AllenBradley) programming. The old laptop got wet & can’t be economically repaired. Out IT department is recommending a "Ruggedized" type of computer since this is the second unit we had that died a horrible premature death. I'm looking at the Panasonic line of "Semi-Rugged" laptops. The TB-52 model has a serial port, 15" screen, waterproof keyboard & touchpad, shock resistant hard drive, magnesium alloy outer shell and a card slot interface. The main concern I have is whether the "PC Card Type II x I" expansion slot is compatible with the AllenBradley PCMK DH+ unit. Their telephone support person says that it is compatible with PCMCIA, but I don’t trust them. I really have to have this communication card. Has anyone used this combination before?

Thanks BD

Hi,

A google search turned up the following results. Looks like I answered my own question...DUH

From Wikpedia:
PCMCIA stands for Personal Computer Memory Card International Association. While this acronym did clearly describe the original intentions of the organization's standard, it was difficult to say and remember and was sometimes jokingly referred to as "People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms" . To aid in the widespread marketing and branding of the standard and to account for the standards widening scope (beyond just memory cards) the association acquired the rights to simpler term "PC Card" from IBM and began using it (rather than "PCMCIA") from version 2 of the specification onward.

BD

We have some OEM's that use these as tools.

I personally don't like them, the screens are too small.
Actually, the Cops in Ontario use them mounted to the console in the patrol cars.

One good thing, they will survive a bad pot of coffee.

They look cool too, but if you want to see lots of rungs.....look the other way.

My last job used to give us Toughbooks to use.

Upside is theyre pretty much indestructable.
Downside is theyre heavy, the battery life is terrible and the screens are teeny.
We use Dells now which die alot more often but are actually more usable. We just get the Dell Uber-Service Plan and fix them as needed.

Try Dell at the fraction of the cost.

They do the Latitude ATG with waterproof keyboard, tough case shock proof hardrive etc an comes with outdoor visible screen.

I agree with DELL as well,
I have a D820 and it has everything I need except a dual height pcmcia slot (darned modbus card). I have had good luck with them. Let us know what you decide
Marc

I like the CF

I have a panasonic CF-51, I use it for Automation softwares, mostly Siemens programs. I really like it, it's rugged, I have purchased an extra harddrive which takes seconds to swap. Com port which is not available on newer laptops, I like to keep one hard drive for automation and another for business, I did purchase before a CF-25, the laptop was really heavy and the screen was smaller but the unit was built to go to war.

hi,

It looks like the boss is going to attempt to get the old waterlogged unit repaired. It's a Thinkpad T-43 which was a great unit before the "incident". I'll post back when it's a done deal.
BD

I think you should convinec your boss to purchase a brand new one, I purchased both CF-25 and CF-51 on ebay for 1/3 of the price you would pay from a dealer....

hi,

I'll try again tommorrow. He seems to be balking at the $2800 cost for the new Toughbook vs estimated $500 for a repaired motherboard. Do you have a valid argument I can use? He won't buy on e-bay, I know that for sure. The Dell option sounds good too, I will go to their site & snoop around for the ATG model. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.
BD

Hi,

The boss finaly choose to go with the new Panasonic model CF-52. We got it from CDW for $2,500. So far everything works as advertised. Took me all day to add all the programs.
1.Fast! (doesn't bog down while using several things at once)
2. Nice screen (15.4")
3. All ports have dust flaps to keep stuff off the pins
4. CD/DVD burner for backing up
5. Recovery CD with backup software included
6. Light weight
7. Suitcase style carring handle

Dis-Likes:
1. Keyboard is smallish, DEL key is in wrong place.
2. PCMCIA slot is on the right hand side, cabling for the PCMK card gets in the way of mousing.
3. Very high resolution screen makes the text too small.
4. Power brick is way too big.

Over all I would buy again. Soon we will see how it will stand up to the test of time & rough handling.

BD

p.s. anyone know how to enlarge the text without causing the "Extra Large" text to become misplaced in certain menus?

Toughbook :)

The trick is keep the laptop for automation softwares only and get 2nd HD for office use, It will always be fast, do not install to much junk in the start menu. Hope you are happy with your decision

Yep, I second SLC_Integrator in his description of the Toughbooks and his recommendation! Going with a Dell with complete care (which is actually an insurance policy) is a much better way to go. Won't help you much with a blown PCMK card, though! Some of the new Dells even have serial ports again - yay!

SLC_Integrator said:
My last job used to give us Toughbooks to use.

Upside is theyre pretty much indestructable.
Downside is theyre heavy, the battery life is terrible and the screens are teeny.
We use Dells now which die alot more often but are actually more usable. We just get the Dell Uber-Service Plan and fix them as needed.

panic mode,

Here is what happens when I select 120 dpi for fonts,

text.JPG

text_small.JPG

This is from RSNetworks for Devicenet. Must be a HTML thing because there are other apps that have similar problems, namely Internet explorer.

BD