Learning AB PLCs

gato_plomo

I want to pick up an Allen Bradley PLC so I can practice writing programs. I have 10 years as a maintenance tech and a good understanding of electrical. I also have a BS in software engineering. I'm not looking to change companies because I have a very good job as is.

I'd like to make the switch in my company to controls. I would have access to all parts and could make my own workbench. I also have a license at work to studio 5000.

What should I be looking for in terms of a used PLC? I see a lot of micro logix but I'd like to use studio 5000. I see different things on eBay, but I don't really know model numbers or what would work with studio 5000.

My budget is about 250 dollars

If you want to use Studio 5k, it is very unlikely that you would be able to find anything brand new for that budget. Even a used 1769-L16 is around $600 - $1000.
Oh I definitely don't want anything new, I'm looking on eBay and industrial auction websites. I'm just a little confused with model numbers and how to know what will work with studio 5000. I have a lot of different versions on my work PC from version 20 something+.

If you want to use Studio 5k, it is very unlikely that you would be able to find anything brand new for that budget. Even a used 1769-L16 is around $600 - $1000.
Oh I definitely don't want anything new, I'm looking on eBay and industrial auction websites. I'm just a little confused with model numbers and how to know what will work with studio 5000. I have a lot of different versions on my work PC from version 20 something+
1. Do you have the Emulation for Studio 5000???
You can do a lot without actually having physical hardware.

2. There are a few used package deals on E-Bay that may fit your need.

I do have the emulator on my PC and was golf to get that set up. I just thought if I could keep a price range of 250 Dollars, it's a budget that wouldn't feel like I'm spending much and it could be more fun actually building something

That looks cool, have you ever used it or heard anything about it before? It's not cheap but it's definitely a lot cheaper than most "Allen Bradley classes" I see online.

No I haven't. Maybe others will comment.

I assume what you have will also work with the Micrologix series. I would keep an eye on Ebay for a used 1100, 1200, or 1400 Micrologix. You might get a good score if you find one used where one output has failed. Usually all it is the internal relay failed, but the output still works (lights up on the PLC)

I recently found a Micrologix 1100 for like $120 because first output was bad, perfect for me because I can use the free version of RSLogix and my intention is to work with remote I/O so the bad output isn't needed. Although fixing it isn't that hard, I have repaired several units by replacing the relays.

Have to be patient, a lot of listings are a high $$$, but sometimes one gets posted for a good price.