Advise on learning Siemens plcs

S5DOS was the environment on top of CP/M for loading STEP5 and the COM software packages. It will work on a very old Simatic PC such as a PG635. Really only recommended for masochists !
oohh lol sounds like real fun :D
The young guys have it so easy now.:ROFLMAO:
I must be one of those young guys ;) well I still have to work with "the latest" Step5 but I did grow up with DOS so it doesn't scare me.

I have access to both plcs. But as far as I'm aware only have access to s5 software and would not now where to start on using it!

Thanks

I agree with Jesper; if you don't have a very good reason, there is no point wasting time on Step5.

In the web page I posted, there is a link to the free Step7Lite software. It can be downloaded from Siemens' web site here:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/39596695.
It is quite like the original Step7, except from lack of other communications than the programmer.
The differences are discussed here.

To get online, you will need an MPI/USB or MPI/RS232 adapter.

And here's the link to the getting started manual:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/11445941

Kalle

I have found the s7 software and connection cable now aswell but have not used it. The reason for exploring s5 are 90% of the machines I work on are using it

Thanks

If 90% of the machines are still with S5, then you may be forced to learn S5 and STEP5.
Exactly what software and hardware do you have for programming S5 ?

STEP5 came in a last version that could work on a Windows XP PC (STEP5 v7.2x). Previous versions could run under Windows 95. And before that there was a DOS version. And before that it was CP/M. S5DOS could indicate that it is the CP/M version (!). That in turn could mean that backups are on CP/M formatted floppies.

It may be hard to argue with management why they should upgrade a working system, but continuing with S5 is the same as gambling with how long it will last. If you are smart you will plan ahead for how to upgrade economically and with minimal downtime for the rest of the plant.

Also, you should investigate if you have the programming software and backups for the eventual HMIs and operator panels in your plant. This may be a bigger problem than the S5 part (!).

I should add: There are companies that sell used S5 parts, and they know how to charge.
We had one time a customer that needed a 944B CPU. It turned out that the hardware upgrade to S7 (everything, CPU, I/O, HMI) cost just a little more than the price for this used old S5 CPU. So he chose to upgrade.
Of course there were additional expenses for programming and rewiring, but this just to show that trying to keep a dinosaur S5 alive can be too expensive.