Advise on learning Siemens plcs

DmarkH

Hi
I am looking some advise on where to start learning about Siemens s5+s7 (monitoring,programming and fault finding)
My only plc experience is mitsubishi melsec and old toshiba provisor.
I have no experience of Siemens but have access to s5 + s7.
Thanks in advance

Ok, Iv got a s5 plc connected to a power supply and I/o module connected. The plc run light is coming on and looks like its working. When I connect to the laptop I am unsure how to acces the programme, file-new project? The plc is somatic s5 100u. Can any one advise on using the software, thanks

Hi
I may have to check again tomorrow, I didnt even realise there was different types. I think one programme was S5DOS and the other one was possible called P7 which appered to do S5+7. Although Im not sure as Im at home now I will have to check tomorrow.

I have been looking for manuals but cant seem to find anything for just getting started

Thanks

S5DOS sounds like original Siemens Step5 programming software, a DOS program. might be hard to get along with, but would check that out first. Third party programs (although windows based) are not compatible with everything.
And manuals are to be found at Siemens's support site. or google for that matter. But don't expect to find a "S5 for dummy's" anywhere you'll have to put some effort into it.

Where are you in Belfast?
I am working in Belfast this week, maybe meet up and I could give you a few pointers?

S5DOS was the environment on top of CP/M for loading STEP5 and the COM software packages. It will work on a very old Simatic PC such as a PG635. Really only recommended for masochists !

Another guess is that it is maybe "S5 for Windows" which also exist in a version "S7 for Windows". That programming software is from IBH Soft and is still being sold.

I wouldnt waste much time with S5. The most you need to know is how to get a program listing from an old STEP5 project, so that it can assist in converting to S7.

Thanks for the offer Liam but I am away this week. I have found a pg95 software and have got connected to plc with some help. Looks easier than dosstep5 software