Flex I/O Trials & Tribulations

Gerry

I learned a couple of things today (empirically) about the 1794-ASB series E adapter that I think should have been mentioned in the manual.
  1. For 32-point standard addressing, one page tells you to set two particular switches off. On the next page these switches are identified as the baud rate selection and that both off means 'auto detect' - only available on series E. What should be mentioned on the 2nd page is that if you select a specific rate, the adapter reverts to 16-point addressing mode.
  2. It seems that when in 32-point mode, the adapter can only be configured to start at module group 0. That should be mentioned somewhere.
    [/list=1]

...sigh

Make sure you bring those things up to A-B's Technical Support group, Gerry. Often the "technical communicators" who actually write the manuals don't catch things that field installers and users who are more familiar with the setup of the product do.

At the very least A-B can write up the manual's deficiencies in a technote. With their print-on-demand system now, it should be easier than ever to revise a manual.

1794-ASB ser E

Hi there,
Since I have a current project involving the above module I thought I would check it out.
This is what I found:
In the Installation Instructions Publication 1794-IN046B-EN-P Jan 2002
on Page 10 they erroneously list Mode switch 3 as being S2-3 when in fact it should be S1-3, Mode switch 4 is being listed as S2-4 when it
should be S1-4. Comm rate switches are S2-3 and S2-4. That is the
whole problem here. Comm rate switches properly select the Baud rate and Mode switches correctly select the addressing modes.
As far as the second problem you describe I think that it is in your
case caused by improperly addressing the modules based on the wrong info. I think that once you correctly set up the addressing and Baud rate switches you should be able to set the starting groups as needed.

Since I have provided the specifics perhaps Ken can fwd this info to AB.

Jiri,
Have you verified your interpretation of the instructions?
If S1-3 & 4 are mode switches, how do you set the node address?
I would say the error is on page 11, where the picture shows mode switches 3&4 on S1.

I've just installed 3 of these on a 5/40, spent a few hours moving switches and doing autoconfig's, and I stand by my conclusions.

I see your point

Gerry,
I have reviewed the Installation instructions for series E and D.
I can see now what you are talking about. I have been using the
standard mode 8/16 point modules only, mode switches 0 and 1 ON.
In that case the rack addressing is clearly on S1-6 thru S1-1.
I agree that the problem is on page 11, mode switches 3 and 4 are in
fact comm rate switches and will affect the baud rate.
Mode switch 2 is S1-1 and if used in a 32 bit mode it will
disallow Rack addressing 40 thru 76.
Not only is the Baud Rate effect not explained but on top of
everything else they made a critical typo on page 11.
This really sucks!!!
I am always defending AB but in this instance **** like this will cost many Companies bunch of money. REM I/O is supposedly AB's
most succesfull I/O shipping by thousands. This should be fixed
by AB ASAP!

Hey Allen Bradley wake up!

let us know

Would any of the thread-ers on this subject care to
conjecture how long it will take to get this actioned
by R-AB, if at all?

Last time _I_ found a bug in the software, THEY wanted
my support number. :(

The time before, I found a problem, was told it wasn't
a problem, faxed them proof, and then THEY wanted to
know how I did it. Well, ain't it nice when the shoe's
on the other foot. :D

Re: let us know

jdbrandt said:
Last time _I_ found a bug in the software, THEY wanted
my support number.

Check your release notes JD...

There are no "bugs" in Rockwell software. Only "anomalies"... :p

beerchug

-Eric

mostly, we just keep on going

I don't know about the other here, but, when I find a
feature of a software that doesn't fully function, I
either don't use it, or find a way around it. Like,
I can't print RSLogix XREF's on an HP LJ4. So, I use
a different printer...no big whoop.

At the end of the day, bugs, anomolies, .... its part
of the territory. I look at it this way:

If Microsoft stuff worked as well as the old ICOM, we'd
all be wonderfully overjoyed.

Happy Holidays, especially to all the brethern out in
the field on startups.

Here is my point

I would like to make few more comments on this issue to clear the air
and otherwise beat this subject to death.

There are three different issues here:
1. Anomalies , bugs etc.
I think that most of us will agree that humans can't produce
a bug free code 100% of the time.
Mr. JDBrandt knows that, I know that and anybody who ever produced
a piece of code knows that.
I don't have an issue with that.

2. How does AB handle these anomalies and bugs?
In my experience it sometimes takes lots of work to make them
listen, actually you need to find the right person who cares.
For most part though I think they are doing OK. I have no
problem here.

3. Documentation mistakes.
Instruction manuals dealing with many complex issues
are probably like a piece of code, there will be errors.

However a fairly simple commodity item that ships by many
thousands should have a near perfect documentation.
This manual has 19 small pages!

Perhaps AB has laid off too many proof readers?

I am also using a 1794-ASB series E Adapter with a 32 point module in a current project so I was very interested in Gerry's original post. I had figured out the mistake in the switch assignment diagram but the module not working with any starting group other than zero concerned me as I had assigned the Adapter starting group to 4. I tested the module and, just as Gerry stated, the module faulted if the starting group was set to anything other than zero, even though the I/O only used 1/2 rack of addresses.

I contacted A-B Tech Support yesterday and asked them if this was how the module should work. I was told that you should be able to assign a starting group other than zero and they had no record of any problems reported. The tech rep said he would test a module and get back to me with the results. He phoned this morning and said that he had confirmed my results. When he discussed the results with the engineering dept., he was told that this is the way the Adapter was designed to work. When it was pointed out that this is not what is stated in the manual, he said that that the manual would be changed.

If anyone is considering using the Adapter with a 32 point module, be aware of this "anomaly".

dip switches

JUST TO LET YOU GUY'S KNOW , I TOO HAVE BEEN SUCKED INTO THE LAND OF DIP SWITCHES WITH THE 1794 ASB MODULES. IT'S NICE TO HEAR SOME OTHER TESTAMONIES. ITS A GOOD LAUGH .

Primary purpose served

I didn't make the post with the intention of throwing bricks, but rather to offer a 'heads-up' to anybody else that might be trying to follow the instructions.

It seems that was accomplished, so I'm happy.
beerchug