Citect SCADA (Aveva Plant SCADA) IO Device Setup with Omron NX/NS over Ethernet/IP

plcplcplcplc

We are trying to set up a newer generation Omron PLC (NX/NS Series) with Citect / Aveva Plant SCADA using the Ethernet/IP CIP Protocol to read some status and alarm tags from the system.

Previously we been setting up comms with the older generation PLCs e.g. CJ2M-CPUxx using the OMFINS3 driver and FINS protocol.

We now have a new NX102-1100 OEM PLCs where FINS has been disabled and they are now only using Ethernet/IP CIP to publish the tags to the HMI.

There are also 3 RJ45 Ports on this unit, P1/P2 for EIP & P3 for EtherCAT. P2 is the only port capable of also using FINS however the OEM has only setup P1 and disabled P2.

These units also have a OPC-UA Server built in but again also disabled that option is a no go.

Contacted Schneider support and they have directed us to still use the OMFINS3 driver but I can not see no mention of this driver supporting the Ethernet/IP CIP protocol in the documentation.

Looking on Aveva's knowledge and support center there is a driver that supports Omron Ethernet/CIP called OMRON 1.24 but that appears to be a Wonderware Driver from what I can vaguely tell. It does not appear they are developing one for Citect which is a shame given the newer generation Omron PLCs have been out for over 5 years.

If by the chance the OMFINS3 driver were to work with EIP CIP, name-based/tag-based addressing in OMRON NJ/NS/NX Series is not supported with Citect's current OMFINS driver offering unless using a work around which requires adding address translation in Omron's Sysmac studio to translate the tags to a traditional memory register format (according to a tech note released April 21, 2023 - the latest OMFINS driver was released 16 October 2022).

We are unable to change any code in these PLCs, only have a list of the EIP tags published so again we are out of luck.

Has anyone had any success in being able to set these up with Citect / Aveva Plant SCADA? Or suggest any ideas for a work around.

Thanks

As you have found FINS won't be an option unless you can use port 2. Your only option that I can see is using kepware as middleware, then using citect to kepware via opc.
Kepware supports ethernet/ip comms to the newer omron plc's.