Work is work, but this is ridiculus.

How the hell does that happen?"
Yes I'm about to contradict myself. We have a couple of drilling machines that sit right beside a heat treat (the same mentioned in a previous post on this thread). Ever since these machines got moved there production has been complaining about the machines breaking down. The drives alarm out every once in a while - they say its because of the heat (which I have always thought they might be right). For about a year they convinced the late shift maintenance crews to leave the control panel doors open. The unintended consequences of this was that this nice, neat, well designed and built panel is saturated with coolant and covered with aluminum chips. Eventually my boss "gave in" and installed vortex coolers. This reduced the frequency of the problems these machines were having.

Forward wind a couple of years. We have an air compressor specifically for our foundry that has a desiccant dryer in line with it. Because of the dryer the air is oil and water free. The compressor (which is 20 years old) died and we had to run the foundry air off another compressor room. So the air that was being blown into this panel was now wet. The opening for this vortex tube was right above an oil covered ML-1100. Next thing I know I get called down to the machine because none of the outputs are working. What Micro-Logix's aren't water and oil proof??!!

Back
Top Bottom