Recommendations on a Current to Pulse converter

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

We need to get pulse output data from an existing steam meter that currently is setup for 4-20ma on its output. We'd like to add a current to pulse converter into the existing circuit so that we can get our pulses, and the 4-20ma can continue to do its thing at the flow computer.

The problem that I am running into is that our ION meters have a 40ms minimum input settling time (which works out to be a maximum cycle rate of about 25hz), while most of the converters that I have found only go down to 50hz (20ms).

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes an I2P converter that goes down to 25hz?

Thanks!

Thanks guys!,

@Mickey: I had looked at the apcs converter before and, prodded by you :), I took a second look. It looks like it has a "custom" range that the factory might be able to set for me. I'll send them an email.

@BITS & BYTES: I purchased a Red Lion and thought that I had it made until I saw in our documentation that the scan time of the inputs on an ION was 40ms, not 20ms (in my defense, I had been told by three guys here that the scan was 20ms). Other than the ION not being able to read anything past 14ma, it's great. :)

(BTW, it's the same device as the Phoenix Controls version).

@WireGuy1950: Theirs goes from 0 to 5000hz, my device is limited to 25hz. But, I may have to call them anyways because I came across this on their website:

Applications

• Crushing Machines
  • Pumping Machines
  • Industrial Dishwashers
  • Hydraulics
  • Gas Pressure Systems
  • Vintage WWII Fighter planes
Huh? :)

Drat! The apcs converter is not UL listed (something that I forgot to mention in my O.P., that and it would be best if it were made in the USA)

Thanks again guys.

Drat! The apcs converter is not UL listed (something that I forgot to mention in my O.P., that and it would be best if it were made in the USA)

Thanks again guys.

Why would you care whether it is UL Listed. It is my understanding that to meet UL508A devices below 48V do not require listing OR UR [Recognition]. o_Oo_O

Why would you care whether it is UL Listed. It is my understanding that to meet UL508A devices below 48V do not require listing OR UR [Recognition]. o_Oo_O

I know, but It's what my boss wants. It could be a requirement for the job (military), which is also why he wants stuff made in the USA.

Another so called "Boss".
Inept as ever, just has to have his egotistic power trip.:rolleyes:

Actually, he's great. :) He came up from the field, so he knows what he is doing, and what you have to go through. The decision on UL listing isn't his to make either, it comes from higher up yet.