OT: Friction within Corporation as society moves along

Regardless of my feelings on the matter (I’m somewhat ambivalent, I don’t want to put people out..). HR & corp set the rules and I’ve agreed to play in their pool for money. This seems like they want to dye the pool a certain color but I know they dye washes off when I leave for the day. A minor change for me isn’t even a inconvenience.
-My strained analogy.

I liked the Marshal / Soldier pair. It recovers some of the interplay between the entities. And importantly some product names wouldn’t be reworked, those that end in M and S keep their orientation and meanings. Although soldier is awkward on the tongue.
Director / Actor is nice too.

What next, will we not be allowed to say our paper is 'white' and our ink is 'black' because those terms remind people of racism?

The master/slave terminology came into existence because it was accurate. For example my first experience with that terminology was dealing with IDE drives -- the master drive controls communication with the computer, with the slave only communicating when allowed to by the master.

There's plenty of situations where the master/slave paradigm simply doesn't apply, and in those circumstances it's certainly reasonable to instead use terms such as primary/secondary, client/server etc because those are more accurate.

To insist that terms be abandoned because of their use in an entirely separate context is patently absurd. People who cannot distinguish between the name of a thing and the thing itself have no business making decisions about word usage.

Client/Server is the canonical term. I could get used to Marshal/Soldier, esp. as it keeps the M/S of Master/Slave.

TL;DR/Opinion/Sidebar

Taking things out of context is the cause of the issue, when we refer to a slave device in the context of PLCs, duplicate SQL databases, or anything other inanimate object, we are obviously not referring to a person. Paraphrasing what one of our esteemed forum members has in their .sig "I despise when people take random [meanings] and ascribe them to me - Julius Caesar"

That said, the person taking the word out of context may have that word as a uncontrollable trigger, and we do not want to be unsympathetic to that; they need therapy, and getting employees therapy might be cheaper for the company than reviewing and updating all documentation.

The meaning of communication belongs to the author of communication, and it is up to the receiver to ensure they understand it rather than "randomly ascribing" meaning.

To wit, post-modern thought, philosophy, etc., are idiotic and cause more problems than a loose cable.

Last edited:
Client/Server is the canonical term. I could get used to Marshal/Soldier, esp. as it keeps the M/S of Master/Slave.

TL;DR/Opinion/Sidebar

Taking things out of context is the cause of the issue, when we refer to a slave device in the context of PLCs, duplicate SQL databases, or anything other inanimate object, we are obviously not referring to a person. Paraphrasing what one of our esteemed forum members has in their .sig "I despise when people take random [meanings] and ascribe them to me - Julius Caesar"

That said, the person taking the word out of context may have that word as a uncontrollable trigger, and we do not want to be unsympathetic to that; they need therapy, and getting employees therapy might be cheaper for the company than reviewing and updating all documentation.

The meaning of communication belongs to the author of communication, and it is up to the receiver to ensure they understand it rather than "randomly ascribing" meaning.

To wit, post-modern thought, philosophy, etc., are idiotic and cause more problems than a loose cable.

As you describe "uncontrollable trigger" these are real and do exist but the idea of trigger words has become a shield that far too many cower behind because they think they should be guarded from anything unpleasant.

well said Dr Bit Man

I think and hope that people realize that many words in the English language have several different meanings and that's fine. But they don't care they just want to mess with you and in their mind feel big and important, probably they have deficiencies in them selves and instead of fixing them selves (1%) make other like them. This day of social is starting to become a real problem cause some can tell a false or a lie and next thing ruining people life's or destroying companies, I understand the op wants to keep his job, but quietly maybe that's not the company you should be working for and might want to think about other opportunities, he said he leaves it at work but still has an effect i describe below. I worked for largest food supplier in world and they toted work life balance, for office people maybe but electrician/ control engineer in under staff situation working 7 days a week 12 hours day and every holiday that is not a work life balance, so keep your job play the game is still no a good thing, but if everyone in your company said no to this it would end and/or if everyone stopped buying that companies products that would end the company, so this is right and there is wrong sometimes it is hard to figure out what is right but we still must try.

Again I think that people don't have a life or nothing to do so sit around and attack others over ridiculous things probably thinking there superior to you, which really mirrors back at you, saying something is wrong you not society. I am not a shrink but born in the 50's with some good morals and values somethings don't need to be changed.

Normal progression in society is what use to be very very bad that someone did or said and everybody is like that is very very bad. next time is happens it's that was very bad, then next time that was bad next thing you nobody notices and it's not bad any more and becomes the norm this happens with pretty much everything, if people like me don't stand up and or say something it is going to continue for everything, some kind of social sickness, so again as a majority we can beat this madness.

Again I am refusing to play this game and I am against the PC stuff and Woke stuff a few companies are in trouble now for going woke with this kind of stuff, thank goodness, more to follow.

We the people are a majority and if, we can stick together on issue like these we can sit the norm.

Same with companies woke if the majority don't like that stuff stop buying from company and there ways will be gone and out of business.

The majority must seek right and try to make it so not some 1% making it their way for the rest of us to suffer through the madness.

We need to take back this great country The United States of America from the craziness.

So by eliminating the Master/Slave term, the past is all fixed and forgiven right?

Just because we don't talk about or mention something doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just ignoring it or replacing the term doesn't eliminate the fact it happen. Infact, pretending it doesn't exist usually means it'll just happen again. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

As for the replacing term, I was thinking Pimp and hoes.. think HR is good with that?

Might get confusing when dealing with anything related to hydraulics, sounds a bit too much like Pump & Hose

I even have a machine on our shop floor now that has a master 'virtual' drive moving 8 axis as slaves.

I will need to update the HMI to "Pimp Axis" and label the rest as Hoes 1 - 8.
The machine is a stable of hoes.
When one of the hoes gets out of line with the pimp, it gets slapped with a fault. Then all of them gotta go back and report to the pimp.

Tell them you're too busy. They'll be coming after "male" and "female" connector documentation next.

As a practical matter, it can't be done. Master and slave are most commonly used in legacy serial protocol documentation and source code. You have no control over most of that. You would only cause confusion by coming up with new names for them.

Case in point:

https://modbus.org/docs/Client-ServerPR-07-2020-final.docx.pdf

But who is going to change the thousands of Modbus vendor documents and programs to use the old terms?

I think this is a change that won't significantly improve anyone's life. Nonetheless, it is gaining momentum and resistance is futile. I like commander/responder. It sounds silly, but to me the alternates are also a bit silly sounding.