Micrologix 1400 Messaging

rmb550

I am new to using the messaging system on this PLC. I have successfully connected 2 of them and used the Msg Read and Msg Write to exchange data.
My question is, if my customer has a computer that acts as a Master and contains the required Read and Write commands, do I need to do anything in the PLC at all, other than place the required data into the appropriate registers?
rmb

No. As long as the computer (I’m assuming that you’re using RSLinx with an HMI) is reading and writing to the locations where the data is at and/or needed you shouldn’t have to do anything in the PLC. However, you might need to manipulate the data in the PLC (move the value of an integer to an output for example) and if so then some logic in the PLC would be needed.

And don't forget that their communication settings need to be compatible. So you might end up adjusting a node address, IP address, or data rate, depending on which channel you're using.