Memory bits in Omron and SIEMENS

NskNSK

I am looking for addressing difference between Omron and SIEMENS.
In this Ladder netwoks has W10.00 address.This is a Omron ladder.
I want to know Omron W10.00 is equal to SIEMENS M10.0
If someone can explain all addressing deference between Omron and SIEMENS, I really appreciate.

memory bit.jpg

Personally I believe M bits in Siemens are like duct tape and should only be used in trouble shooting and/or temp logic until you finalize your logic in a DB.

But if you are going to use the M bits just be aware that they are not all retentive. The CPUs I typically use are retentive from MB0 - MB16.

Ooo...really..
MB0-MB16 are retentive ? :eek:
How do you know that.
Can you give me some links about memory details in S7-300?

You can set this in the hardware config.

Specs of the 317F-2 PN/DP in this case:
Bit memory
Number, max : 4096 bytes
Retentivity, available : Yes (from MB 0 to MB 4095)
Retentivity, default : MB 0 to MB 15

cpu.PNG

Last edited:
Omron W bits are not retentive - H bits are.

Thanks BobB...
actually W or B bits in SIEMENS are not bit memory..W are word(16 bit) and B are byte(8 bit)
Am I correct?
If I use M0.0, Is it a retentive bit?

M0.0,M0.1,M0.2,M0.3..........M16.0,....M16.7
This all bits are retentive?

W is words and bits W0 is a word - W0.00 is bit 0 of W word 0 - W2.00 is bit 0 of W word 2. Free use with Omron - whatever you want. Some of the latest processors allow bit addressing of registers as well - do what you want. Siemens still insist on using bytes - I always find it hard when losing the freedom to do what you want when going away from Omron. Only byte use with Omron is with some remote I/O configuration - all else is words.

Talking about Omron - avoid Siemens like the plague these days - too hard - takes too much time - costs money and time. Siemens uses bytes for many areas - Omron uses words. I did not mention Siemens memory areas at all.

I might be understanding you wrong but with merkers you can use M,MB,MW,MD so i dont see your point.

Possibly referring to items like Siemens IO cards are addressed at the Byte level e.g. 0.0 - 0.7 and even if the next 8 bits are on the same card they are 1.0 - 1.7. But other manufactures would do it more as slot.point so theses addresses would be 0.00 - 0.15 or 0.00 - 0.31.