Lookout 6.7.1 activation and project migration

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a client who just bought a new PC for their SCADA system, and they've asked me to take care of the migration of their Lookout project from the old PC to the new. I have a few questions, being that I'm somewhat new to Lookout and have only maintained existing systems and have never developed.

First, they have the disc for Lookout (6.7.1) but I haven't been able to find their Certificate of Ownership. I've asked them to check the office for it but who knows if they'll find it. The envelope that contains all the software and release notes has a sticker with "Job Number"; could that be used to find the associated serial number? I've contacted NI support but haven't heard back from them yet.

Second, apart from licensing issues, is there documentation available that describes how one would take an existing project and migrate it to a new PC? I'm looking into it myself but figured someone here might be able to point me in the right direction on how to do this properly, I'd like to retain things like trend data.

Thanks for any help!

Pretty sure you just need to copy the files associated with the project and the databases, but it has been forever so I may be wrong. Version 6 was where I stopped with it.

Lookout is aptly named. It is a very strange system with a ton of quirks. You might try the Lookout forums if they still exist, back in the day they were a wealth of information. Good luck.

I have no experience of that system and your information is limited, however, things to think about, is the new pc a later operating system, will the version you have run on the platform. Assuming that it is supported then follow certain rules, the setup of the new pc i.e. computer name, other software that may be needed i.e. SQL, often older systems used now outdated MS software like MSDE
Can this run on a new platform, is original software 32 or 64 bit does it use things like I/O drivers from a partner company and have they got the software, the list goes on. What is the software licensing is it a dongle or installed license if dongle it could be a parallel unit, therefore, may require a parallel port not often found on modern hardware & if it is there could still be problems of compatibility or settings.

Lookout is from National Instruments. NI provides support on the basis that you have an active support contract.

Let's assume that version will run on the new OS without any conflicts with 32/64bit and old PCI cards etc. There is an NI program dedicated to license management, similar to FTAM. It will show the software installed, and if there is web access the license can be renewed, but this may involve first removing the activation from the old PC.

This is from memory, I haven't touched NI stuff in about 3 years and it's been 5 years since I touched Lookout specifically. I do however still have contacts that I can ask a question or two, if you are really stuck.

Lastly, anything NI is $$$$