NI Lookout alarm dialing through USB modem isn't working

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a client who wanted to upgrade their PC workstation using NI Lookout and Windows XP. Eventually they want me to replace Lookout with a modern, supported HMI but for now they wanted to get onto a Windows 10 machine. I've done similar with another client and I was, after a lot of work, able to get NI Lookout running on Windows 10.

Long story short, this new install just didn't want to let NI Lookout run; I'm wondering if an update to Windows since the last client (over a year ago) broke the ability for Lookout to run. So, I installed it on a VM of Windows 7 and everything is working fine, minus the alarm dialer. In the old PC, the dialer would call out via a PCI card modem. Since the VM solution I'm using doesn't have PCI passthrough, I'm trying to use a USB modem but it's not working. It's set up for the right COM port, and it has the same settings as the old computer but it doesn't want to play ball. However, if I go to HyperTerminal and ask the modem to dial out, it does so just fine.

I'm at a loss for why Lookout doesn't like the USB modem, but HyperTerminal works just fine. Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what to do next?