Learning Omron software

It should be noted at Omron that these 16bit words can be considered signed or unsigned or BCD, it all depends on the instructions used
This is not specific to omron. Most early PLC’s were also this way.
A common issue with newbies was to use the second word of a already used double word & be baffled as to what was happening.
Siemens is byte based still when using absolute addressing/assignments.. (mw/mb etc )

Yep, many still are, with the introduction of symbolic based addresses many still are only 16 bit & either the variable is selected by the compiler when compiled & uses a reserved area of existing variables for example M or D9000 upwards.
Others can be set in the symbol database i.e. My_Tag ( Int) you could make it D20, if a double or float is selected for the type then it automatically selects the next variable i.e. D20 + D21. Not difficult if you know, but you do need to be aware if giving a symbolic address an actual fixed variable. unlike CLX the use of symbolic only addressing means these very often cannot be accessed from some communications i.e. an HMI etc. some of these platforms are getting round it now on later hardware (or have it in the pipeline) by downloading the symbolic names to the plc so the communications are aware of them (I believe it is being done this way to make it backward compatible with older still current platforms without having a seperate IDE).

It is interesting - I still program using numbers (I/O and internal addresses). I find it much quicker and I am not into all the latest stuff - getting to old to be fiddling with symbol addressing.
My favourite PLCs for this are Omron and Emerson (GE).
Work with them both regularly.
Some of the Automation Direct stuff is also OK but some painful.
Never mind.

On the other hand, modern communication protocols such as OPC UA can only access symbolic addressing and with important advantages such as reading many variables in a single transmission without worrying if they are contiguous.

In regards to my original post.

i have the cx-one programming software ver 9.75 installed on a laptop i inherited from the previous controls engineer.
Can you do online edits like inserting or deleting rungs?
can you also add / delete / change contacts and i/o ?
i will have a project coming up soon and the software is new to me. i have programmed omron in the past with handheld consoles.
thanks in advance,
james

@Ife: Only if the PLC supports symbolic addressing.
Yes Certainly on the CP1H so I would imagine on other models, like most PLC's on line edits will probably be limited in size.

The CX programmer IDE can program all the range I think it may make sense to download this manual

https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/v8/w446_cx-programmer_operation_manual_en.pdf

I found the IDE a little clunky but ok, but like all IDE's it's what you get used to once you get some practice in you will probably find it as easy to use as many others, if not easier, it can be frustrating with japanese translated manuals but practice makes perfect.

right now i an trying to learn the analog input config and calibration routines.
we use the MAD42 analog cards.

@James Mcquade, when scaling in the CX Programmer series ie CS/CJ range have a look at the "APR" instruction or roll your own. The inbuilt SCL instructions were from very early models with outputs only in BCD etc.

Omron also has the current alternative with symbolic addressing, with the PLC NX family and the Sysmac Studio programming software.

It supports OPC UA and Ethernet/IP communications, but with Ethernet/IP there are some differences with the AB CLX protocol.

I would like to have a PLC NX to better debug my driver

Can you do online edits like inserting or deleting rungs?
can you also add / delete / change contacts and i/o ?
james

Can you do online edits like inserting or deleting rungs? -

"Yes, online edits are available for your PLC, press Ctrl+E to begin online edit for the rung/s you want to edit, rungs must be selected. The looks of if may be different compare to AB. It doesn't create a test rung, you edit on the same rung and press Ctrl_Shift+E to send the changes you made. There are icons for the above as well as cancel online edits.

can you also add / delete / change contacts and i/o ? -
yes, you can do all the above. There are short cuts for those as well. look under the tools- Keyboard mapping.

To add a xic on a empty rung, or space, press 'c', press '/' for xio. To change an XIC to XIO, focus on the contact and press '/', and vice-versa to remove it. Adding branches is different compared to AB. From the place you want to add branch, press 'v' to drop a line, press it multiple times if it goes more depth. Highlight the branch and press v again to delete the branch. Take note on the left power rail no branch is necessary, each branch connect to the power rail directly. All the above can be done thru icons itself, but I find it cumbersome. So learn the shortcuts and start using it to get to the speed.

Regards