Learning Omron software

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i have started a new chapter in my career with a local company.
a lot of their plc's is omron and i have the cx version 9.75 software installed.

how is the best way to learn the omron software and plc programming?
i know omron, but that was with the handheld programmer and first version of software years ago.
Also,
is there a file comparison tool with the software? i have 2 laptops and a network drive with multiple programs with the same names, there was no rhyme or reason with their file system.

regards,
james

Omron for mine is pretty easy. i have been with Onmron since the DOS and CAPS software days. If you have specific questions you can PM me. It is by a long way my preferred platform. Have also worked with AB, Siemens, Hitachi, now working with Emerson (GE) - still looks like it did in the 90s. Hard when someone was not organised.

Hi is there a file comparison tool with the software? i have 2 laptops and a network drive with multiple programs with the same names, there was no rhyme or reason with their file system.

Yes, there is, look under the Pull down menu

File-> Compare Program.

You can go online with the PLC and compare the file in your PC to the file in the PLC as well. To do that look for the icon next to "Transfer to PLC", "Transfer from PLC", followed by "Compare with PLC".

I'm not a fan of Omron help file, but most of the rest are fine.

thanks for the replies.

does anyone have the manuals for the CX-one software and the CJ2M instruction manual? or even a link?
i have went to the omron site and i cannot find it. i have registered on their site, but have not received a reply for my account.

i will be asking a lot of questions in regards to Omron, Sew drives, Siemens plc.
my predecessors did not keep good filing procedures and i'm figuring out things as i go.
thank you in advance,
james

Manuals for CX-One are installed on the desktop when CX-One is installed for a start. Will post some other stuff when home from work.

thanks for your replies.
i have been watching youtube videos which refreshed my memory.
right now i an trying to learn the analog input config and calibration routines.
we use the MAD42 analog cards.
a friend said he emailed me the manual but i have not had the chance to open it.
i'll keep you informed.
james

My go to resource for omron manuals has always been omron europe (omron.eu). In addition, keep in mind that there are some signifigant performance differences between the CJ1 and CJ2 platforms.

Many Asian PLC's are effectively only word orientated so byte is not an option.
So for example to access bytes individually there are functions like byte to word it actually copies 2 bytes from a word & stores each byte into two words.
or in the case of a string copy all bytes to individual words. or just mask and & shift

It should be noted at Omron that these 16bit words can be considered signed or unsigned or BCD, it all depends on the instructions used