Help on Siemens S5 Software

hagos

Dear Folks,

It was long time since I worked with Siemens S5 (V5.x) that time, recently I moved to an other company where they use lots of S5 processors , we got a 720 II PG with an S5 V7.x , I tried to go through it, but it took me some time.

What I would like is to first backup all my CPU's & then come down & study them (off line).

I would be vey great full if some one can guide me in simple steps how to back up a CPU program.

Cheers
Hagos

Its also a long time since I've programmed S5, if I had a machine with it on I could be more help, I'm sure someone will help on that regard.

What I would say is, do you have the master commented files for each program. If you download from the CPU, all you will get is the base code with no comments and all your datablocks will display in KH format.

I would strongly recommend, especially if your trying to read and understand the programs, to find the commented files. Make a copy of each and use the copies when comparing and updating the commented program.

If you can help it, do not transfer the program from the CPU to the commented file, as this would change all DB's to KH format and any networks that may be added or deleted would throw your comments out.

I would compare the blocks and carefully modify the block that have changed.

Dear Peter,

At this stage I want only to upload my CPU's , then I'll sit down & try to understand the processes & functions.

So still I'm waiting for your help guys to show me in a simple way how to do that.

Cheers
Hagos

Your going to have a real hard time understanding it without the commented file. You will need the I/O lists and start working back.

There's been threads on doing this as well, don't envy you.

dchartier/Peter

Thank you for the valuable information.

I'd backed up all my CPU's, now as Peter said I'll go the hard way to sit down & study them.

Cheers
Hagos