FactoryTalk Activation Manager

AmandaR

Hello everyone.

I am very new to PLCS (I was introduced to FactoryTalk today.) My boss has asked me to install FactoryTalk Activation Manager on my desktop computer and make it so it would be visible on the local network and available over VPN. What would be the best way to go about that?

Thank you so much!

-Amanda

Hello everyone.

I am very new to PLCS (I was introduced to FactoryTalk today.) My boss has asked me to install FactoryTalk Activation Manager on my desktop computer and make it so it would be visible on the local network and available over VPN. What would be the best way to go about that?

Thank you so much!

-Amanda

Welcome to the forum !

My guess is that he wants your PC to be the activation server, so that people can "check-out" activations as and when they need them, returning them when their task is completed.

If you can confirm that, I'm sure there are loads of people on here who do that all the time and can talk you through the setup. I've never had to do it so am "unqualified" in this area.

There isn't much configuration on the server end honestly. TCP ports 27000 to 27009 need to open and accessible. You then servers address into the "Path to Activations" in Factorytalk activation manager on the clients. As long as the clients can reach the server, it should work.

This works well if you are installing the server on a machine that is always on your network and has a static IP. If this is being installed on a laptop that moves around, much like with any server application, you are asking for trouble.

If he's wanting you to host the licenses for everyone...

I would not do that... a desktop PC is likely to go to sleep, be shutdown, etc. And become unavailable at random times for license management. It needs to go on a server that is constantly up and running.

You need to involve IT in this for such a thing. Making it available over VPN is on them, they have to set up the rules for the VPN network and firewall to make that happen.

If its for just your terminals own licenses that isn't much of a worry.