Factorytalk activation Manager through VPN

Does any of you configure FactoryTalk activation Manager to share license through a VPN connection?
We have a spare laptop that is used as a server to share a floating license locally for two of us. When we have a project that uses studio 5000 or any Rockwell product, the tech borrows the license for the time of the service call connecting locally to the network. This works fine. But sometimes, it is not possible to connect locally to the network to borrow or return the license for someone else to use it.

Is there possible to connect to that server laptop from another network through a VPN connection for example to share the license?

I try to setup an OpenVPN on my router. I can ping all the laptops on the local and public networks, but I don't see the laptop in the network selection in factory talk activation manager.

since you already have a server. once you setup vm machine, you can borrow the license then copy your vm to each laptop.

I try to setup an OpenVPN on my router. I can ping all the laptops on the local and public networks, but I don't see the laptop in the network selection in factory talk activation manager.
Go to Manage Activations tab -> Update Activation Search Path -> click on Add Server, then enter the machine's IP address.

Launch Studio 5000.

As long as the license host isn't running any instances of the licensed software, you can just launch. No need to use the borrow/return mechanism.

Last edited:
Go to Manage Activations tab -> Update Activation Search Path -> click on Add Server, then enter the machine's IP address.

Launch Studio 5000.

As long as the license host isn't running any instances of the licensed software, you can just launch. No need to use the borrow/return mechanism.

Just figure out that we can manually input ip adresse :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks !!!