can't connect to a slc5/04

electric_man

Hello , im trying to connect to a slc 04 using the rs232 port but for some reason when i auto configure want let me , says check cable or switch. Now i know the cable is good because i checked on another slc , They are using the dh 485 to communicate to the processor with a pc , thanks for any help.....

If the DF1 pass-through bit is set in the processor (allowing you to see other devices connected to the DH+ port through the serial port), the auto configure will not work.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC with Logix500 on it handy, so I cannot tell you exactly where to find this bit, but I believe it is on one of the tabs under Processor Status. If you have an up to date offline copy, you will be able to see if this bit is set.

If that is the case, you have to configure the driver a little bit different. I think you use the DF1 driver, but for the device, you have to select 1770-KF2. Then you set all other properties manually.

Again, that is only if the pass-through bit is set. And please forgive me, I'm doing this off of memory (and it's been a while!)

I never use Auto-Configure when setting up a connection with a SLC 500 processor. Mainly because I can never remember which ones support it.

Open the offline project and check the com port settings, and setup the connection manually.

Try to search the site there are plenty of answers about the topic. What type of cable are you using to connetc to plc rs232 and what cable for the computer? do you have a serial port on the pc? or are you using a converter rs232 to usb? did you check the COM port? the more info you give us the more we can help!!

They are using the dh 485 to communicate to the processor with a pc , thanks for any help.....

What protocol is the SLC5/04's serial port set for DF1 or DH485?

If you have the offline file then take a look at its channel configuration.
Or post the .RSS file here and someone can help you look. (Zip it first then post)

The above statement would indicate the serial port is configured for DH485. If so then RSLinx will have to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. You need a real serial port on your PC to use this driver. So let us know and someone can give you more accurate help.

Or you can use the universal USB to DH-485 interface converter cat # 1747-UIC, but mainly check what Micky has advised.

Thanks so much for the reply's , i don't have a copy of the program i do have a comm port on my pc and the rs 232 cable works i tried it on another slc. Now i do have a 1747- pic module , its 1747-c10 , if this is the same one you are talking about Mickey.
thanks again for the help guys,,,

Ok,
the communication channel might had configured for the DH485,so it is not allowing to do the auto confugaration from the rs232 cable,
anyway still you want to connect from rs232 only means you need to reset the processor to factory default(by shorting VBB and GND in the slc PCB i have posted the photos in my earliear forum on how to reset the memory to degault)and after you can able to go online,
Thanks for your understanding.
Naag

Ok,
the communication channel might had configured for the DH485,so it is not allowing to do the auto confugaration from the rs232 cable,
anyway still you want to connect from rs232 only means you need to reset the processor to factory default(by shorting VBB and GND in the slc PCB i have posted the photos in my earliear forum on how to reset the memory to degault)and after you can able to go online,
Thanks for your understanding.
Naag

That's a pretty drastic move when all he has to do is use the right cable and driver.

Plus he better have an up-to-date backup before doing so. From his earlier post he does not.
Also from his earlier post the port is supposed to be configured for DH485, which means he would have to change it back to DH485.

The above method is a last resort which IMHO he does not need to do.

Last edited:
Do you have the capability to go online using DH+ ( Data Highway Plus ) which is the comms normally used on a SLC 5/04 , the plug is at the top a 3 pin plug.
DH+ also is the comms on the round 8 pin plug.
The 9 pin D shell plug is the RS232, that you are trying to configure for DH485, or is already 485.

If you can go online then check your chanel 0 comms option ,

and while you are there save a copy of your program before you lose all your program

Last edited:
To give some more info gil47 the dh485 is being used by another pc with rsview32 , now i know the slc software is of the older AI version which says i need to run in dos mode but i don't have dos installed on that pc. So i thought i could connect using the 232 port , im not as savvy on plc's as i would like so this is as far as i got.
Will give it another shot tomorrow and i may have to get the right cable to do this with or try and use the dh485 if i can thanks to all the help from you guys....

I suggest that you have a look around for copies of RSLinx and RSLogix 500,
my reasson for saying that is that most places had gone with those software packages
by the time RSView 32 became available,
in fact RSView 32 will be using RSLinx.