Connect to SLC5/03 through attached Panelmate's #2 serial port?

bigsteve

Hello,

I have one legacy system that I'm trying to troubleshoot - it's a SLC5/03 connected to an old Panelmate 1785. I can connect to the SLC if I disconnect the panelmate, through the serial port on the PLC, but I need to have the panelmate attached to do the testing. My DH485 adapter seems to have bitten the dust, so I cannot connect to the RJ45 connecter; is it possible to connect to the SLC through the second serial port on the Panelmate?

First, it is possible to use the other port on the Panelmate. In fact many people who connect the Panelmate to only one PLC use port 2. That leaves port 1 available for modifications to screens without having to disconnect the PLC cable. Port 1 can be used for PLC communications or for program download. Port 2 can only be used for PLC communications.

However, to switch to using the other port you will need to modify the application in the Panelmate to do so. The more important question is what protocol is the Panelmate using? If it is currently using DF1 and you want to switch to DH485 you will need to download the driver to the Panelmate.

Steve I think he is asking if the Panelmate supports passthrough allowing RSLogix to reach through the Panelmate to access the SLC by connecting the PC to the PanelMate 2nd port. I know I have done this with Red Lion G3 series years ago (Ethernet to Serial pass through) with limited results, but have not seen that feature supported by many other devices.

Last edited:
You may be right. I interpreted the question as asking if the Panelmate could be moved from the channel 0 serial port to the channel 1 DH485 port since the OP could no longer use it because the DH485 adapter for his RSLogix computer had failed.

If Paul's interpretation is correct, I'm not optimistic. The Panelmate ports are independent of each other and I don't believe they support pass-through.

Yes, what Paul said. I have ordered a new cable from PLCcable, so hopefully I can get it figured out next week (it may turn out to be a 440V power issue anyway - our switchgear shorted out).

Yes, what Paul said. I have ordered a new cable from PLCcable, so hopefully I can get it figured out next week (it may turn out to be a 440V power issue anyway - our switchgear shorted out).

Thank you very much, its on the way.

Thanks Paul!