Beckhoff questions.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi. I started a tread about CoDeSys, but my interest is narrowing down to Beckhoff. Thats why I start a new thread.

So far I have these questions:

1. Can someone confirm or deny that the Beckhoff CX PCs/PLCs have to be configured by Beckhoff ?
You cannot for example add a module with extra serial ports yourself. I mean what is installed on the PC side not the i/o module side.
The modules on the PC side are physically attached onto the CPU so that you cannot remove or exchange them.
This would mean that you have to predict what you eventually will need in the lifetime of the project. Somewhat inflexible I think

2. I cannot figure out the TwinCat System Manager. Lots and lots of settings, but absolutely no context-sensitive help. I can more or less figure out the configuration of i/o modules. What I dont understand is how you specify and configure the target CPU. Where can I select a CX1020 for example ? How do I configure which modules are present, ethernet and serial ports etc. ? How do I configure if EtherCat or K-bus is used ?

If I understand what you are asking, the answer is yes. You can add/remove modules as you please on the CX. When you do, you will need to reconfigure it using System manager.

Correction: Modules on the left side have to be configured at the factory. Modules/terminals on the right are configured by you.

The second question may be difficult to answere here. I find the easiest way to configure system Manager is to use the Scan Devices function. First click on System-Configuration. On the right click Choose Target, do a broadcast search to find your CX. After it is found and selected, right click on IO devices and choose scan devices.

Those are tremendously simplified instructions so I hope it is of some help.

Last edited:
The second question may be difficult to answere here. I find the easiest way to configure system Manager is to use the Scan Devices function. First click on System-Configuration. On the right click Choose Target, do a broadcast search to find your CX. After it is found and selected, right click on IO devices and choose scan devices.
The thing is that I am using the trial version of the TwinCat software. I dont have any hardware to test on. I am just trying to get an overall feel of how good or bad it is to work with.
Dont anyone know how to add a CPU to the project ?
There is a sample project (maschine.wsm), but no matter how hard I look, I cannot find any hard CPU properties.

JesperMP:

In beckhoff you have System Manager and PLC Control, in PLC Control you only make de program, in System Manager you can add all your hardware.

I have a lot of experience with beckoff systems in LightBus and ProfiBus. If you need some project with System Manager I can send to you.

Guys. Help me here.

I am trying to follow the online help.
In System Manager I select "PLC Configuration" and then "Append PLC project" (online help says I should select "Append IEC project", but that selection is not there). Up pops a menu that says I have to pick a .tty file. There are no .tty files.
I am guessing that the requested file is a PLC project file, and I thus go to PLC Control and try to create a new PLC project. Only this will only allow me to save as .pro files.

Stumped.

(beginning to think this software is c**p).

I'll moderate that previous remark into that it is only the help, and the program structure, and the organisation of the entire user interface that is c**p.
Once you have figured out how to use this software it is probably the wet dream of any PLC programmer.

I did find out by experimentation (= click all available buttons in random order) how to add a PLC project, only to hit the next stumpling block.

Where have I seen this before ?
Is this because the software was written by germans ?

Last edited:
Jesper, I've just downloaded TwinCat and started the plc using the icon on the bottom of the screen, downloaded the machine example and run it.

view14.JPG

Type of CPU selectable on the resource tab:

view15.JPG

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
Is this because the software was written by germans ?
LOL...

Here is the bad news... You are one of the 'upper' programmers on this site and others... If you are having this much of a issue with it? I think I'll pass :D

Hell I'm still trying to figure out S5 :oops:

JesperMP said:
Up pops a menu that says I have to pick a .tty file. There are no .tty files.
I am guessing that the requested file is a PLC project file, and I thus go to PLC Control and try to create a new PLC project. Only this will only allow me to save as .pro files.

You only have .tty file when you rebuild your project in PLC control .

Trick:
You can put your project in online for simulations, without any hardware, saving your System Manager in a empty file .

puxiret said:
You only have .tty file when you rebuild your project in PLC control .
Yes. I figured that out myself. My point is that I find this software non-intuitive.
Also, the help system looks impressing at first, but when you start to use it you find that it is a very thin layer of help. I tried to use the Quick Start in the online help and ran into this stumpling block immediately.

L D[AR2,P#0.0].

Aha, I will continue with that. It is dawning on me that I have to be "online" in some way.

What this software badly needs is some sort of beginners pamphlet "twenty things you absolutely must know in order to work with TwinCat".

OK, I havent been working with this a lot, I am just trying to take a quick peek into it.

LOL

S5 is easy, just phone Siemens tech support when you have any trouble. There response is lightning fast and the same for any problem. "You should really upgrade to S7"