Adding new device to Profinet network

also dont forget about the SinecPni-V1.0.0.1 tool from siemens. It has saved my butt a few times when doing remote installations. I cant seem to figure out when the siemens plc actually auto configures the devices after download....I think it has to do with the topology layout (if it isnt 100% correct then it doesnt send the config). But I have seen this also happen with certain io devices other than siemens.... Then I just use the sinec tool and give profinet name and the plc will send the config as setup in tia portal

Hoping Jesper will help me out with my own question in my response..haha

also dont forget about the SinecPni-V1.0.0.1 tool from siemens. It has saved my butt a few times when doing remote installations. I cant seem to figure out when the siemens plc actually auto configures the devices after download....I think it has to do with the topology layout (if it isnt 100% correct then it doesnt send the config). But I have seen this also happen with certain io devices other than siemens.... Then I just use the sinec tool and give profinet name and the plc will send the config as setup in tia portal

Never heard of that SinecPni tool, I usually use Proneta. It looks like they essentially do the same thing, except one was made by the networking group and one was made by the PLC group, lol.

The PLC assigns device configs and IPs based on device name. The PLC can ALSO assign device name based on topology (if the device supports it). So as you say, if topology is right, it should mostly just work, but getting the device name into the device should fix everything. Note also that Portal has a function "Assign Device Name" you can use, if you don't want to open another software package.

Not entirely sure what you are doing and what is your question.

If you have setup Profinet topology, then you dont have to assign names to the connected devices, pending that the actual hardware matches the topology setup 100%. Some prefer to do it this way since you can replace parts without having to do any preparation of the parts, i.e. loading the Device Name.
If topology is not setup, the Device Name must be loaded onto the Profinet device by some other means.
I personally prefer to load the Device Names. It gives me some flexibility onsite to move cables around.

edit: An advantage of using topology is that you can have better diagnostics. The diagostics tools in TIA and also in HMI templates can display exactly which cable or port has the fault.

Last edited: