Adding new device to Profinet network

stayclashy80

Hey everyone,

So I'm adding a new Leuze barcode scanner to an existing Profinet network and I need some help. Below is what I think I need to do.

1. Physical wiring: remove existing profinet cable going between two ET200S racks. Make new cables going from one ET200S rack to my new scanner and another new cable from my scanner to the other ET200S rack. Basically add my scanner in series daisy chained to the existing ET200S racks.

2. Modify network in TIA V13 by adding new device. I tried to add the device to the network on an offline project but couldn't find anything other than siemens products in the drop down menus for adding devices. After I wire it up will it automatically show up on the network?

Thanks for everyone's help as always, you guys rock!

You will need to to get the GSD files from the Leuze website. Then add the GSD file to your TIA library. Then the Leuze scanner will be in you list under io devices

Ok so I found the Leuze barcode scanner in the hardware catalog and I was able to drop it into the network view map. I also found the GSD file was already loaded in the TIA V13 project so I don't have to do that. I just assigned the profinet network to my new device. I attached a screenshot of what I have so far.

I was planning on adding this device tomorrow but it just got pushed back until monday morning.

From what I just read I need to change the profinet device name to a unique name for my application. Is there anything else that you guys can think of that I will have to do after I hook up the sensor and load my new configuration?

remember to correct the on/off switch on the profibus connector. since its in series and not the end the switch should be off position.

I had this problem where when I tested in house for 1 scanner it worked but was using asc2 moduiles from siemens. Just remember your tags changed for additional sets of tags for each scanner. Its been a long time but it had to do with the FB tag. Probably a Step 7 problem but your using TIA so should not be an issue.

You need to give same unique name for profinet device as on configuration and you need to download hardware (stop/run load).

Ok cool, seems pretty straight forward. Just wanted to make sure about my wiring since nobody said different I take it the way I plan on wiring it up is correct? Does it matter which cable goes into X1 or X2 or on my Leuze scanner which cable goes to Bus IN and Bus OUT?

If you are not using a topology-aware configuration this should be fine.
To see if the configuration is topology aware you need to change from the "Network view" you show us above, to the topology view. As shown below.

20210317_TIA_NetworkView.png

Last edited:
Does the TIA project originally use Topology ?
You can see that if you switch to topology view, and every device is connected by specific cables going to and from specific ports.
If so, you need to update the topology accordingly.
And then it definitely matters which ports the cables goes to. Topology view must match real life 100%.

edit: Beaten by Alfredo !

So, the fact that they are not specified means the topology is agnostic for those ports. Unless your machine has all the cables properly labelled and there is a reason for each port of one device to be connected to a specific port of a switch or another device, my advise is no not assign those ports because if any cable is connected to the wrong port the PLC will flag a topology error.

Ok cool thanks alfredo. If I connect all the cables but don't download the new hardware configuration will the plc still run fine until I get time to stop plc to install new hardware configuration?

In your topology view it can be gleened that some connections are daisy-chained from one device to the next device. Messing with these will definitely shut them down.

If you can, add the new device via a new cable on an unused port on the central switch "Switch_1". That should disturb the running machine the least.