5069-L310er or 1769-L19er ? with Point I/O

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So I am helping a customer design a project

He needs 10 remote I/O's (nodes) and we are thinking 1734-AENT's, most are smaller size but a couple are 24 in and 10 out. Is there limitations for the number of I/O on the Point? I know its limited on the buss power but I would think 28 I/O should be easy, they are listing 13 modules in the manual (Here) page 64

Some of the processors are limiting 8/24/etc nodes page 3 in this manual for the 5069 (here)

Anyone see an issue using a 5069-L310er or a 1769-L19er to do this?

I think the project would be fine but its a lot of money to spend to find out it will not work, does Rockwell have a configuration page? you can add everything to a website and it tells you if its compatible and will work?

Rockwell on their web site has a free tool called "Integrated Architecture Builder" you put your PLC and all your IO. It will tell you if it will work or if you need to make a change.

The 1734-AENT(R) can support up to 63 modules - you're aware of bus power limitations it seems, and of course they're easily overcome with a 1734-EP24DC. If "24 in/10 out" means 24 input points then you're barely breaking a sweat - that's only five modules (depending on density and spares), you won't even need an EP24DC. If "24 in/10 out" means 24 input cards, then you're going to have to do a little bit more design work. Unless you're using safety modules or a small handful of specialty modules, it's pretty easy to calculate - all the standard cards consume 75mA of bus power. The 1734-AENT can supply 1000mA of bus power, and the AENTR can supply 800mA. An EP24DC gets you another 1300ma. So assuming all standard cards, you can put 10 modules after an AENTR, 13 after an AENT, and 17 after an EP24DC.

Then you just have to consider your node count. The 1769-L19ER-BB1B is limited to 8 network nodes, so that won't get you there. Some of the L2 and L3 1769-series controllers will get you there, but you're starting to get pricey at that point, and the 5069 probably starts to get more attractive.

Any of the 5069 series nodes will get you over the line; they start at 16 (although I'd go for the 24 nodes of the L310ER as you suggest, ethernet nodes are like cores in a multicore - work out how many you think you need and then double it).

Finally, just consider how many local I/O modules your chosen processor supports. The 5069-L310ER only supports 8 local modules, and the maximum point density on them is 16 digital, 8 analog. So make sure you've got that side covered as well. If you don't, you can always add another "local" point I/O rack. if that works out cheaper than a higher-level processor.

Mark,
If you know you will only ever use 10 Ethernet adapters (nodes) plus one if you are using an A-B HMI, I wouldn't hesitate using a 5069-L306ER for the project, unless memory is an issue. These are totally different animals than the 1769. Even tho they have a node count, they are actually limited by CIP and TCP/IP connections. The 5069 is an actual node count.

Keep in mind that the 5069 Ethernet adapters (RIO) are Gigabit rated for higher performance and are the suggested match for the 5380 controllers. Point is not really recommended, but should work fine.

I've used a number of these over the past few years, and I do like to keep the option open for more nodes as ASF stated, but if it's a fixed project with no expected expansion, I would just do what covers it.

With a 5069-L310ER, used 19 nodes on a couple of projects, gives a few spares. With a 5069-L320ER on a couple others, used 28 on one, 33 on the other. Everything works fine, and they have some spares.

A couple cheat sheets from a few years ago:

5370.jpg 5380.jpg

Thank you very much, its one machine (large) so I think the L310er is also for future expansion, I liked the L19er for me because the local I/O (1734) is so much cheaper than the 5069 I/O and my thought was using all 1734 I/O means less spares needed but they ended up going for the 5069

🍺

It really does come down to you probably should use an L310ER for the project. Decisions, decisions, but pick what works best and makes everyone happy.