3150-MCM, any experienced users around here?

ckchew666

Hi guys,

I know there are a number of experience 3150-MCM user around. Pls guide a newbie here.

The application of the 3150-MCM at site:
Port 1 is to read data from the 3rd party device (Modbus), port 2 is to send data to another 3rd party devices (RS485). Should the port 1 & 2 set as slave?

Before delivering the 3150-MCM to site, we need to setup/test in our office. I've plug the module into the SLC rack and configured the correct address using the sample program from prosoft (MCM3EX1M.RSS). The ACT green LED is blinking fast. ERR1 is ON yellow color.

Without the 3rd party modbus devices here, can I use any stimulation program to test the module. I need to play around with floating point values. Can modscan 32 work with this? Any other recommended s/w besides my going-to expired ModScan32.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
CK Chew

ckchew666 said:
Hi guys,

I know there are a number of experience 3150-MCM user around. Pls guide a newbie here.

The application of the 3150-MCM at site:
Port 1 is to read data from the 3rd party device (Modbus), port 2 is to send data to another 3rd party devices (RS485). Should the port 1 & 2 set as slave?

Before delivering the 3150-MCM to site, we need to setup/test in our office. I've plug the module into the SLC rack and configured the correct address using the sample program from prosoft (MCM3EX1M.RSS). The ACT green LED is blinking fast. ERR1 is ON yellow color.

Without the 3rd party modbus devices here, can I use any stimulation program to test the module. I need to play around with floating point values. Can modscan 32 work with this? Any other recommended s/w besides my going-to expired ModScan32.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
CK Chew

Arrhhh...get it done. first the cable used is straight 2-2, 3-3 & 5-5 cable. Definetly can't work.
Secondly, used a cross cable 1747-CP3, never short the pins 7 & 8. Of course can't work!!

I'm connecting port 1 to port 2 using a cross serial cable 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 & short pin 7 & 8.

Now, the ACT, prt1 & prt2 LED light are blinking.

Will take a look how's the addressing is working. wonder how's floating points work?

Last edited:
Me too

Yes i do have this card 3150-MCM from prosoft and need to commission it.

My requirement is as below.

Port 1 i will connect to Modbus slaves. there are two weigh scales both modbus RTU slaves.

these two will be connect to port 1 and port 1 will confiqured as Modbus RTU master.

One port 2 i will connect a Modem and a remote DCS will call my modem to get details about other PLC input output card plus also the detail from two weigh scales.

Now the weigh scale is in customer site and so i donot have it.

Now i need to test port 1(modbus master) and port 2 (modbus slave) in our factory before we deliver it to our site.

How to simulate a DCS(modbus master) to call my modem connect to Port 2 to collect the data from my PLC and also how to simulate the port 1.

Any simulation or emulator is available to do this without having the actual equipment.

thanks

Re: Me too

T Thomas said:
Yes i do have this card 3150-MCM from prosoft and need to commission it.

My requirement is as below.

Port 1 i will connect to Modbus slaves. there are two weigh scales both modbus RTU slaves.

these two will be connect to port 1 and port 1 will confiqured as Modbus RTU master.

One port 2 i will connect a Modem and a remote DCS will call my modem to get details about other PLC input output card plus also the detail from two weigh scales.

Now the weigh scale is in customer site and so i donot have it.

Now i need to test port 1(modbus master) and port 2 (modbus slave) in our factory before we deliver it to our site.

How to simulate a DCS(modbus master) to call my modem connect to Port 2 to collect the data from my PLC and also how to simulate the port 1.

Any simulation or emulator is available to do this without having the actual equipment.

thanks

HI,

I'm new to this 3150-MCM.

Can I say that when the field devices is master, the port must be slave and vice versa?

What is catagorized as master devices and what are slave devices?

I was being told that my modbus network port 1 is connected to a GC and port 2 is connected to EFM (RS485). You guys know these short form means? Thx.

sim program

I use the simulation program mdbus from Calta Computer Systems. It works very well.

They can be found here

grs

Thanks GRS

Thanks GRS
I have asked for a demo version from their website. I will try that once they email it to me and if any thing i will post my doubts here.

thanks again