msg ctrllogix to SLC 5/05 error 204

beanpole_ecc

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=44906

This thread i have read and i have something like this. With the above problems the original poster had with the unconnected timeout from a control logix msg to a SLC 5/05 i can ping everything and see everything from my laptop. I can also go online with both processors at the same time from either the managed switch at the control logix chassis or the slc chassis. So its an odd scenario. i checked cabling (which was quite old) and found a bad spot in the cable with an ehternet checker (priceless technology when troubleshooting a 100+ ft run of cable!!!). i replaced it and it checks out good now. but still i can't get the msg block to complete a write command.

SLC typed write
my source element data type is int
length is 1
destination element is n7:152
comm path is Enet_card, 2, 10.0.5.10 (SLC 5/05 ip address)
comm method is CIP
error code 16#001f extended error: 16#0000_0204

i haven't checked the sticker on the side of the slc to double check the firmware yet (heading out after this post) but the slc program has "1747-L551B/C 5/05 CPU - 16K Mem. OS501 Series C FRN 3-9" as the processor type.

anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

i just checked the info on the SLC and its processor is revision 5 and the FRN is 9 so i don't think it's a revision problem (it used to work a while ago). The only thing i changed was the ip and subnetting. but when i walked away from it a while ago it was working. when it stopped that's when i discovered the bad cabling.

<---------perplexed

i might try a new processor. has anyone had similar symptoms?

Path (1,1,2,131.200.16,172)
Try this:
5). The "Communication" tab requires a path to route the message to it's destination. The path is derived of port, next address numbers until the destination is reached. The example below was derived as follows:
1(port on Controller to access the backplane)
1(next address is the slot number of Ethernet module in local chassis)
2(port on Ethernet module to access the Ethernet network)
131.200.16.172( next address is the I.P. Address of SLC-5/05 processor)

@widelto

i tried that but to no avail. The communication path automatically put my card name into the spot once i hit enter.

But i found a solution....well i think so....i had a brand new out of the box 5/05 processor. so seeing as how the other msg blocks in the control logix to other processors was working, i tried putting a new processor in there and it worked perfectly. all messages went through without a hitch. My guess is that either the bad cable i found marred up the ethernet port somehow or the ethernet chipset inside the processor got boogered up somehow firmware wise that wouldn't allow the msg block protocol through but online through rslinx protocols were ok. i'm no ethernet engineer but that's my best guess.

i also made some program changes that would ease the workload experienced by the slc. whoever programmed it first put all 3 msg blocks in the processor on the same 1 second timer with no interlocking in between. so all 3 message blocks would fire at the same time. i put a 5 second timer, with a data compare override, in line with the slc processor msg block. i also placed the .EN bits of all the msg blocks in line with every other msg block so at the very least they won't fire at the exact same time.

I'll do some other program changes later next week to stagger the message blocks like is recommended elsewhere on this site but at least i put some kind of permissives in there.

Thanks for the help.