Migrating Program from S7-300 to RSLogix500 & Migration from CompactLogix to RSLogix500

Aijaz_Khan_01

So basically i have 2 queries :
I have a program file of S7-300 PLC which i want to migrate in RSLogix500.In short i want to convert my simatic manager file to RSLogix file so that i can play with it in RSLogix500. So Is there any possible way in which i can convert the program of my S7-300 ?
2. I also have a program file of ABB CompactLogix PLC which is i believed programmed in Studio5000 and i want to convert it's program file to my RSLogix500. If there's any possible way of doing so please let me know and help.

Only manually for the 300 but it is unlikely you will have the same sort of code, the 300 is totally different from AB & 5000 is far more advanced & again unlikely to convert from a newer processor to a really outdated platform, not saying it's not possible but it will also depend on things like S7 function blocks these do not actually exist in the RSL500 or for that matter the indirect way of addressing or STL.

So you want to look at these programs using RSLogix500?
If you post your files someone should be able to print a PDF for you.
No Alan i don't want a PDF of the studio5000 file, Basically i want to convert the the studio5000 file to rslogix file so i don't have to re-write the code. I want to simulate/edit the program that needs to be converted to rslogix in rslogix.

If the S7-300 and CompactLogix programs are very simple and written in 100% ladder, then maybe you can do it.
Both S7-300 and CompactLogix programs have programming concepts that are totally alien to SLC500.
SLC500 is really obsolete. To learn PLC programming (other than just very simple ladder code) I would suggest a more modern platform.

If the S7-300 and CompactLogix programs are very simple and written in 100% ladder, then maybe you can do it.
Both S7-300 and CompactLogix programs have programming concepts that are totally alien to SLC500.
SLC500 is really obsolete. To learn PLC programming (other than just very simple ladder code) I would suggest a more modern platform.
Thanks Jesper but i only have to extract the program from CompactLogix and convert it to RSLogix and i need to modify it a little bit. So i will have to convert it in any way what do you suggest how can it be executed ?

'only' ?
You have to manually type in the CompactLogix ladder code 1-to-1 in RSLogix500.
And you have to adapt the CompactLogix memory structure into something that fits into the SLC500.
Unless the CompactLogix program is very small and simple it is hopeless or monumental task.

Assuming this is S7 Classic then the data areas are totally different, for example S7 Datablocks can contain bits, bytes, words, double words reals etc.
Like DB10.DBW20, then DB10.DBD30 so one is a word the other is a floating point (if my memory serves me right) whereas SLC have fixed blocks for integers (words) & floats. like N7:0 & F8:0 so you would have to manually code any data areas S7 is often programmed in STL for function blocks again this is totally different to SLC, indirect addressing again is different, as Genius has stated, a right pain to convert from one to another. it is almost certainly a manual job i.e. finding out what the S7 code is doing & manually writing the code in the SLC, If my memory serves me right, SLC does not have configurable function blocks so passing variables by the FB interface again is a pain, what I did in the past is use my own reserved areas of data i.e. N & B files as temps to pass information to another block. It's bad enough to convert from SLC to say CLX, to do it the other way round is much harder, if not sometimes almost impossible due to increased functions availlable in later processors. not impossible I suppose, but very hard in most cases.
Why not try to convert a modern EV car into Fred Flintstones car, thst would give you an idea how difficult it might be

What is the purpose of all this ?

To convert existing machines from S7-300 and/or CompactLogix to SLC500 ?
That makes no sense. No-one in their right mind would make a new control system based on SLC500.

Or is it to learn about PLC programming ?
You can use the SLC500 to learn absolute PLC basics, but other than that .. modern PLC programming is so different, I suggest not waste time to learn something that is obsolete.

I can probably think of a few (more or less valid) reasons to convert something from a 5k to 500. It's definitely not ideal. As far as I know, there's only one processor family still active in the 500 world (MicroLogix 1400) and it's not going to be around too much longer. It's already "Active Mature".
If you have a large installed base of 500 stuff with the in-house expertise and licenses, and no or few licenses for 5k and S7...I could make a case for the conversion. It won't be simple, though.
If the 5k program is all in LAD (very possible), you can copy-paste the rungs from 5k into 500 and then go through and fix the errors. I've done something similar but it was converting from a PLC5 to a ControlLogix. Even with that, I ended up doing a lot of transcribing and re-writing.
To go from S7 to anything else...you'll be transcribing and doing a lot of bookkeeping to keep your symbols/tags/addresses straight.

I can make a far more compelling case to go from S7/500 to 5000, but it's going to be challenging. Depending on the other hardware in the system it may very easily end up being close enough to be impossible that it's better to get the software/training needed to support the existing platform instead.