Wonderware 2012 R2 - Alarm Delay?

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working from some spec documents that declare I must allow the operator to set an alarm delay for any alarm signal. I would like to use WW's alarming features. I'm not seeing this functionality.

My plan is to create (2) templates for all alarms in the system, analog and digital.

The alarm delay would have to expire prior to lighting up the WW alarm. This is pretty standard functionality with FTView and ALMA/ALMD instructions but this is WW...

I can roll my own ALMA/ALMD type instruction and do all of this behind the scenes in the PLC but I would like to leverage the power of the WW alarm service.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

InTouch has never, to the best of my knowledge, included time delay for alarms. Nor does the most recent version, so far as I know. You could do it with scripts, but I'd just handle it in my PLC program, as I've always done. What's wrong with that?

I'm working from some spec documents that declare I must allow the operator to set an alarm delay for any alarm signal. I would like to use WW's alarming features. I'm not seeing this functionality.

My plan is to create (2) templates for all alarms in the system, analog and digital.

The alarm delay would have to expire prior to lighting up the WW alarm. This is pretty standard functionality with FTView and ALMA/ALMD instructions but this is WW...

I can roll my own ALMA/ALMD type instruction and do all of this behind the scenes in the PLC but I would like to leverage the power of the WW alarm service.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Regardless of the capability of the alarming software, I almost always put the delay into the PLC logic. This serves two main advantages in my opinion:

1. If there is any desired control function related to an alarm condition present (I.E. an interlock for something to run), the PLC can execute this.

2. If the SCADA server is shut down, the PLC can still execute the alarming without needing any change in state of the alarm tag from the SCADA server.