Why pay for PLC programming software?

The bottom line for me is - it would of course be great to get stuff for free. But if it means poorly written a designed software, bugs and no support... screw that, I'd rather pay and get a reliable product...

I always laugh a lot. I'm just generally a very positive person :) Even when someone insists PC software is free because you get it with computer even after at least 3 people already explained that it is included in the price of hardware :)

Let's laugh more: maybe You and those 3 people could finally start to READ posts someone else, not from Your 'Joint Fidel-Ahmadinejad Democraty Club', writes.. :)

Gee, mate, exhale... No one is here to fight democracy wars. You really turned this thread into something personal. Did USA offended you personally or smth.?

It's not personal, I just think, if you want to excange opinion with someone, maybe is it fair to, at least, listen to what he says/read what he writes. I never said PC software was free, like you and others say i did.
About Fidel/Ahmadinejad way of democracy: I thought this thread was a place where I colud say what I think abut topic (I saw a quotation mark), but if this a place where everyone MUST think the same, this is bad..

About Fidel/Ahmadinejad way of democracy: I thought this thread was a place where I colud say what I think abut topic (I saw a quotation mark), but if this a place where everyone MUST think the same, this is bad..
Do political systems and world conflicts have anything to do with price of PLC programming software?
You DON'T HAVE to think the same, I don't think anyone expects that, you just generally SHOULD stay within the topic of the thread and don't bring you personal problems into it. It's just my opinion though, I might be wrong. Anyone, not interested to continue this pointless discussion

:)
See - thats what I said: if someone does not agrre with you, discussion suddenly becomes 'pointless' :) Viva Fidel! :)

Originally posted by Homer_BL:

...listen to what he says/read what he writes. I never said PC software was free, like you and others say i did.

Granted, you didn't say PC software was free. But you played pretty fast and loose with the example. No PLC (that I know of) comes loaded with the development software on the PLC, which would be the equivalent to your ready-to-use PC. All of them require an external development softwar epackage, that you as the user may or may not pay for directly.

I guess my point from post 210 is the best way I can state it. Homer_BL stated in post 203 that he didn't pay for any automation software. I stated in post 210 that he did, just not directly. I think Homer_BL understands that preloaded PC software isn't free. I'm hoping that he also understands that "free" PLC development software is also not free. It is just paid for differently. Those that make you buy software recover their software costs by selling the software. Those that don't charge for software recover their costs by adding the cost to their hardware.

In any case, as others have said, buy the product that makes the most sense for you. But also realise that the initial cost is generally only a small percentage of the life cycle costs of any project. So while we all like to "discuss" this point, it really isn't as significant as we all make it out to be if you look in the long term.

Keith

n lev :)I hate fake moralism...Next they will say it that they have ONLY DVD-ROMs in their PCs, they NEVER burned CD, all mp3, avi, vob they have at disks, it ALL payed... :)

Moralism is useless, so a fake version of a useless thing is a rather odd thing to contemplate.

Passing over that, yours is an incorrect assumption. EVERY piece of software on all of my PCs are completely legal. If we put music on my wife's iPod, it is bought, not copied or "borrowed". I doubt I am the only one who can say this, too.

I still have disks and CDs for software I deleted long ago, just because I haven't gotten around to throwing it away.

I don't want anyone stealing my intellectual property so why would I steal someone elses?

If you dont want to spend money in software exist trials, and, if you live in far places, could try broke the law and use "crack" software. Much people live in that way.

if you live in far places, could try broke the law and use "crack" software. Much people live in that way.

And that pretty much sums up the attitude of those people in 'far places' (which may be next door). "I want to use this but I don't want to pay the people/company which developed it so I'll just steal it." (I'm not implying it is your attitude, Agamenon. You just made your observation.)

Let's add some more years to this post.
Nowadays they are make the programmer a bit more comfortable in hardware specific software since he is already "selling" equipment. Or am I wrong?

I think I will jump in now...

Of the PLC programming packages I use/used RSLogix5000 is the best buy a mile. It's the only one worth paying much for.

Granted I have not used everything but of the ones I have....
Omron -
Ge -
Mitsubishi -
Automationdirect -
IDEC -
Beckhoff -
Codesys -
Allen-Bradley -

AB has the best editors by a wide margain.

After 30 years of doing this I would only recommend IEC 61131 controllers/software as the use of user designed Function Blocks and data structures is far and away the biggest advances in my career.
If someone was asking for my recommendations based on budget.

Decent budget.
RSLogix5000 or Beckhoff

Small budget.
Beckhoff or Connected Component Workbench(Micro 800s)

Depending on the application a Codesys runtime license is only about $600.00 and can be a decent OEM platform that you can mix and match I/O with.