what so special about alan bradly

hi , this is parag here from mumbai, india. could any one tell me that allen bradley is best or siemens. accd in india , these are best .

plz let me know.

thanks in advance.
- parag uike

THE GAME OF PLC

To paraphrase a former POTUS: "It depends on what your definition of best is".

Let me ask a few questions.

If there is such a thing as the "best PLC", why are there so many brands available?

If there is such a thing as the "best PLC", are the people who use anything other than the "best PLC" stupid?

If there is no such thing as the "best PLC", why do people keep asking which PLC is "the best"?

Arik that surprises me, I worked for a company with HQ and R&D done in Boston (I was in Alabama). There were numerous times we needed a card etc and whether in stock or not the Engineer would go thru Eagle Electric http://www.eagleweb.com/ and we would have overnite...couple of times same day by plane. The local AB supplier at that time did not maintain much of a PLC inventory and we did not get the discount the corporate office got using Eagle.

It has already been stated "There is NO best PLC", each has its own pros and cons. GE and Siemens are the worlds largest electrical suppliers. AB/Rockwell is very small in size compared to them but AB/Rockwell specialized in automation when others did not, so obtained a large market share, in this area, early on. Scheider Group(Modicon/Telemecaniqe) and OMRON are also large companies with good market share depending on location etc.

Support and parts availability are the key issues, these can vary depending on location.

For any job you need TOOLS, a plc is a tool. You should pick the right tool for the job.

There is not a "BEST" PLC there are only "BEST PLC's" for the job at hand.
Almost any PLC will do any project, but if the there is anything "special" there is a "Best" for the job PLC.
Mitsubishi does an excellent job with motion, AB does very well with large amounts of I/O, GE is very good at integrating with other systems like CNC Drives etc., others have different specialty areas.
This is based on only 33 years experience, other engineers may have better information.

The Best PLC :)

I agree with Sergie on this one. But Allen Bradley is an industry standard in most Sawmills in BC. Modicon is in Mining here. When we buy a piece of equipment, we require the PLC that maitenance is familiar with. Most Developers are flexible. One plus for Allen Bradley is the vast quantity of cheap used parts on EBay. I am cautious about this and buy only from large volume users with good feedback. I still got hit with a bad frequency drive, But it was a gamble. (buy as is, no warrenty). The parts were still worth more than my cost and shipping. (but not much). I like Modicon more than Allen Bradley but the managers will not change as we upgrade our mill. I am just a grunt that keeps the mill running... I can be replaced. Friday I spent 6 hours in a hole covered in sawdust and hydraulic oil tracing tempo cables, I had a feedback fault and found a cable that had to be cut open and taped up. Im not paid to think. :)..... Time to check my loto numbers...

AB has no fatal flaws

Ethernet/IP rocks.
AB works well with our products because it has superior communication abilities.
I like the trends of RSLogix.
AB doesn't use linear address spaces.
The Control Logix has the best backplane of the all the PLCs.

Is AB perfect? No way, but I don't think Bruce99 would get far trying to do a curve saw system or a veneer lathe on a AD or FX2N because they are too small. Unless the PLC has motion controllers like the Control Logix or has the ability to communicate with our product, the PLC would not have a chance in the demanding saw and veneer mill applications in BC.

If I had to choose a PLC without knowing what the application was I would choose a Control Logix. A S7-3XX OR S7-4XX would be my second choice.

Peter Nachtwey said:
AB doesn't use linear address spaces.
The Control Logix has the best backplane of the all the PLCs.

Both these points caught my attention. I've dealt with microcontrollers and understand a decent amount about low level digital architecture, but I the term linear addressing isn't ringing a bell. Maybe I'm thinking too much in computerese and not enough in PLC jargon? If you cared to explain, I'd love to hear it.

The second point caught my attention because backplanes are well... backplanes. I'd never thought to compare them. I mean, you plug stuff in and out of them with moderate ease. What makes Control Logix's backplane so much better than whoever elses?

1. Hot swappable everything.
2. Communications protocol on the backplane is asychranous. This means you can run multipe tasks, IO updates and communications are not dependant upon the scan cycle. Big breakthrough.

Explaination

PLCs like AD, TI505, Modicon, Mitsubishi and Omron have linear addressing spaces. This is not a problem until you want to add another device like a motion controller. Since a motion controller needs about 50 to 100 words of memory per axis it is often difficult to add more axes without moving the location of data in the PLC. I have found relocating data to be painful. It is very painful when a HMI is involved. Changing addresses is a pain. One can add the registers for the motion controller at the end of the used memory, but then the axes can't be accessed as a big array of axes. An AB or S7 allow one to just extend an array. The PLC programming software takes care of making room.

The best back planes are ones that are fast and allow one to do things like one can do on a bus like the VME bus. BTW, no PLC back plane comes close to the VME bus even though the VME bus is ancient. In the past the TI505 had the best bus. It allowed intelligent cards like motion controllers to read and write directly to and from PLC memory with no ladder programming. This allowed data to just automajically update in the PLC just as the Control Logix Ethernet/IP allows data on the net to appear as if they are cards on the bus and no BTR or BTW are required. Also, In the past we were often limited to just a few registers in and out. This is the case with the Modicon PLCs. The limited number of registers per card makes communication more difficult because data had to be passed back and forth using some handshaking or a protocol wereas the Control Logix has instant access to 80 status words and 48 command words.

I didn't think Control Logix cards are hot swappable.

An asynchronous protocol is not an advantage. Being fast a flexible is. There is no point in having I/O update faster than the ladder scan. In some cases an input point may be checked serveral times in a scan which may improve response if the input activates a call to a subroutine. In most cases I think this just clutters the program and an interrupt should be used. To make things worse, the Ethernet/IP updates asynchronus to the ladder so there must be some means of keeping the Ethernet from executing commands to the motion controller when the PLC has only partially updated the command field. We have had to add one extra registers to the input and output registers for synchronization.

For motion purposes, I prefer the ladder and the motion controller scans to be synchronous. This means the PLC scan time must be very fast and deterministic. It makes programming easier and the resulting machine action more deterministic.

I didn't think Control Logix cards are hot swappable.

All ControlLogix cards, including processors ARE hot swappable, you can also add or remove card.
They call it RIUP - remove-insert under power.
Flex modules are hot swappable only, you can't add or remove a card, just replace.

Last edited:
cole4eve said:
hello everyone i am P.L.c new commer for instance and i hear about a brand name alan bradly, i spoke to my plc trainer and he didn't told me why most plc personel love to us alan bradly.
It was Allen-Bradley that came up with the acronym PLC for programmable logic controller and it is (or was) their registered trademark. In the early 80's AB was concerned about the growing use of PLC as a generic term and attempted to get other manufacturers to use PC (for programmable controller) as the generic term. Modicon played along for a while, but I don't think the Japanese ever did.

Gerry said:
It was Allen-Bradley that (tried) to use PC (for programmable controller) as the generic term. Modicon played along for a while, but I don't think the Japanese ever did.
This was about the same time that the New IBM, and cloned Personal Computer was becomming very popular, and I for one used PLC to differentiate.