What ports / protocol do I need to open to remotely access a TIA Portal 1500 PLC?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all

Trying to remotely connect to a TIA Portal PLC.

I can ping it without a problem but can't get my software to connect. I've opened port 102 based on some Googling but still no joy.

Also, do I need to open the port for TCP and for UDP ?

I may have other issues in the setup that need resolving but first I want to just confirm that I'm opening the correct port and that is the only port that needs to be open?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I believe that TCP port 102 is the one used for programming S7 PLCs.

Exactly what PLC, and exactly what TIA version ?
If TIA is V17 or higher, do you have TLS selected on the CPU ?

Is the PLC visible from the online access folder in the project tree?

Can you still ping the address if the PLC is not connected or powered up? There could be an IP conflict.
TIA can sometimes fail to renegotiate adapter settings too, check your IP address is in the same network (second half of the address) and that you're on the same subnet. I've found it can have a lot of trouble with the subnet being different.

I believe that TCP port 102 is the one used for programming S7 PLCs.

Exactly what PLC, and exactly what TIA version ?
If TIA is V17 or higher, do you have TLS selected on the CPU ?

Thanks Jesper for the great replies. I've not heard of the TLS setting so I'll look into that. Thanks :)

Is the PLC visible from the online access folder in the project tree?

Can you still ping the address if the PLC is not connected or powered up? There could be an IP conflict.
TIA can sometimes fail to renegotiate adapter settings too, check your IP address is in the same network (second half of the address) and that you're on the same subnet. I've found it can have a lot of trouble with the subnet being different.

Yes the PLC is visible and accessible at the local level. It is also ping-able. I'm definitely leaning towards a firewall problem but just wanted to double-check my port number was correct and whether it was TCP and/or UDP. I did think TCP 102 but great to have that confirmed. Thanks.

How are you connecting? Is it via NAT or standard Routing?
It's via some cloud based remote access software. That's why there's a lot of things to check - ie. PLC network settings / firewall / cloud based software / remote engineers laptop (which runs TIA in a VM) etc. I wanted to just be sure about the port(s) before I started digging around into everything else.

But I have my answer now so off I go to dig... :) Thanks for your help.

I recommend connecting to the specific IP. So just manually enter it (even tho it is correct in the engineering software).

It is a bit tricky from time to time.