Way O.T!! Crazy Canadian economy

allscott said:
So now the big question for me, Corvette or boat??? Opinions welcome, may even warrant a survey.

The answer is simple….neither, keep going, you have done well don’t stop

Reinvest into more real-estate you can make a very good supplementation to your income if contiune on the path you are one, you said you were 31? And young?, then set a goal to retire at 40…then you can not only buy that boat but also enjoy it…

Realestate is another passion of mine, you are in a very strong market (for now) take advantage of it

I agree with the genius. I also have an interest in realestate. I own a rental property that is my 401K because my current employer does not have one. It has bailed me out in times of layoff with the income. If you should decide on a corvette, I would recommend a classic that won't depreciate. Sam Walton drove a fifteen year old pickup. A boat is just a floating hole you throw money in. I know, I have two. One is a 1952 mahogany runabout. You have a nice problem to have.
Congrats on your sale

sheirj said:
I agree with the genius. I also have an interest in realestate. I own a rental property that is my 401K because my current employer does not have one. It has bailed me out in times of layoff with the income. If you should decide on a corvette, I would recommend a classic that won't depreciate. Sam Walton drove a fifteen year old pickup. A boat is just a floating hole you throw money in. I know, I have two. One is a 1952 mahogany runabout. You have a nice problem to have.
Congrats on your sale

I am only half serious on the corvette. We have offered on a house that is not quite what we want but has the location, size, and a price that is attractive. We plan on fixing up the cosmetic problems (which are a lot) amd then flipping it once we find what we are really looking for, or building a new one.

This will be my fifth house in 8 years. My wife loves to paint and I am getting pretty good at doing the carpentry things that seem to push up the price on houses and make them sell.

Never been a landlord, as I crunch the numbers in my head it sure seams to make sense though.

Last edited:
allscott said:
This will be my fifth house in 8 years. My wife loves to paint and I am getting pretty good at doing the carpentry things that seem to push up the price on houses and make them sell.

Never been a landlord as I crunch the numbers in my head it sure seams to make sense though.

cool...that makes 3 of us, OkiePC also flips

sheirj has more patients then I, rentals you have to collect... for me thats a loose loose, I dont have the time, heart (softy), it works for some I have a few friends in CA that are very successful at rentals.

Sheirj, have you had any bad tentants?

In Bend, Oregon, the restaurant owner, that is the OWNER, has to wash the dishes at his restaurant.

Why???

Because NO ONE that is willing to accept dish-washers wages can afford to live there!

I bought my house for $25,000... I've expanded my kitchen from 6'x10' to 12'x14' (of course, at the sacrifice of part of the 18'x16' Living Room), added on a (10'x10') Laundry Room to the side of the house, and added a Great Room (20'x20') to the back of the house... all using my own little-bitty hands... the going price is... wait for it... $350,000.00! DAMN!!! More than a Quarter-Million-Bucks!!!

My cash outlay for up-grade... about $20,000!

The only thing that stops me from cashing in on this craziness is...

Where can I get this kinda of house, or more, for the selling price...

...AND STILL HAVE ACCESS TO A JOB???

I really want to have a reasonable 20'x40' Out-Building!

Any ideas?

No... I'm not willing to go to Mexico, Guatamala, or Panama.

Although, I hear from friends of mine... those places have a lot to offer... but it would seem to me to be so only for the retired... unless you happen to be making your bucks from the Internet, or as an established Published Author!

I know it's not so, but... Phil, if you were making your BIG-bucks from Mexico, Guatamala, or Panama, damn... how green can I get!

Are you a whitewater fanatic? I've been canoeing since 10 and whitewater kayaking for about 15 years. Used to do a some V's but kids, house, career, etc. keeps out of the boat too much for me to feel comfortable running a lot of V's now. My wife used to work in the industry for a paddle manufacturer.
I don't know about a fanatic... But definitely an enthusiast. I mostly do the Kings River here in Fresno, because that's about the easiest thing to do for a day trip from where I live. I have a kayak that I'm still learning to do(gotta get a decent roll down), but mostly I take people down the river in the raft.

I haven't done much class five stuff yet.... There was some class 4/5 stuff on the American River when I went to the local "guide school", but unless you want to hike a few miles carrying all of your gear, there isn't any way to get to the class 4/5 stuff here on the Kings River. The normal stuff here on the kings (depending on flow) varies between 2 and 3+.

Last edited:
I guess it is all relevant to where/how you want to live. Where I live you can easily buy a house for 100,000 or less, depending on how much renovation you want to do, of course there is also better neighborhoods with higher priced housing.

I mention this because within a 50 mile radius there are 2 auto plants plus numerous plants that make products for that industry. There are also numerous metal and paper plants. The industry is here but housing costs are lower.

Altogether there are 3 auto plants in Alabama , with supplier plants all over the place.

It is an option.

Terry Woods said:
Any ideas?

Hell Terry come to SC...we can shoot the $hit and drink MGD

The works SIMPLE ( ;) ) I can show you everything you need to know,just think of all the automation we could do together

:D

MSconfig is not included in windows 2000 but you can download msconfig from here and put it in the windows/system32 folder or you can use a freeware program called autoruns from sysinternals

Git...

I would SERIOUSLY consider it!

However... I gotta say... I've spent a couple of summers working on the Ohio River... DAMN! I wouldn't wish that on anyone except those that I thought should spend eternity in Hell!

I spent some time at my brothers place in the pan-handle of Florida... I feel pretty much the same about that.

OK... I'll admit, after spending the late 70's in SouthEast Asia... I tend to be somewhat more interested in milder temperatures. That is why I jumped at the opportunity to move to Oregon when I went up for the Rose Festival!

90% of the time the weather is very tolerable... even if much of it involves rain. But then, that makes for a lot of green and fresh air!

Git, I think we could really, really, Kick-A$$!

PeterW said:
No, not at all. Cananda has always been my first choice for two reasons.

Firstly I have been there and seen the attitudes and lifestyle which I thought was very good.

Secondly, as my wife is Japanese, it would be easier for her to get to see her folks, especially if I could end up in Vancouver, the more west the better.

New Zealand sounds great, a friend's brother lives there but I've never been there, so it will be a risk. I do believe I would like it there though.

A job offer from either country would swing it.

(y) 🤞🏻

I made the big move in 1988..Moved from Portsmouth to Ottawa..Never looked back.. I miss it every now and then..but then i look around and realise how luck i am..

For automation Toronto is a good spot..alberta is sweeter, Ottawa sucks for that kind of stuff..(Government town). Of course if you live in Toronto then get used to a 2 hour commute..Of course out here to drive an hour into work isnt uncommon...

I see you looked into the immigration laws..they are about the same as the UK's..no where near as tough as the US..It does make me wonder how a person who wants to work has a tough time getting in the country but a person who dosnt want to work gets welcomed with open arms..

If you end up in Toronto let me know..it would be nice to meet you..

D

darrenj said:
I made the big move in 1988..Moved from Portsmouth to Ottawa

If you end up in Toronto let me know..it would be nice to meet you..

D

We went to Ottowa for a drive from Montreal, Xmas time 2004 it was a nice town, quite small from what I was expecting though, nice cake shop/cafe in the old market area.

The funny thing was the canal was frozen and my wife went ice skating, was amazed with the car on there removing excess ice. I told my work-mate and he took his family the following week and it had all melted, the weather always amazed me there.

Coming to Toronto in October for a week, I'll be phoning agencies this week in the hope of seeing a few armed with my CV/resume whilst there. Not holding much hope that they'll want to see me until I'm there long term though.

non developmental

Terry Woods said:
Git...

I would SERIOUSLY consider it!

However... I gotta say... I've spent a couple of summers working on the Ohio River... DAMN! I wouldn't wish that on anyone except those that I thought should spend eternity in Hell!

I spent some time at my brothers place in the pan-handle of Florida... I feel pretty much the same about that.

OK... I'll admit, after spending the late 70's in SouthEast Asia... I tend to be somewhat more interested in milder temperatures. That is why I jumped at the opportunity to move to Oregon when I went up for the Rose Festival!

90% of the time the weather is very tolerable... even if much of it involves rain. But then, that makes for a lot of green and fresh air!

Git, I think we could really, really, Kick-A$$!

I think it is just an excuse; scared to go on your own or make a move.

I am not near as smart or capable as you, but I ain't scared to try.

tom_stalcup said:
I don't know about a fanatic... But definitely an enthusiast. I mostly do the Kings River here in Fresno, because that's about the easiest thing to do for a day trip from where I live. I have a kayak that I'm still learning to do(gotta get a decent roll down), but mostly I take people down the river in the raft.

I haven't done much class five stuff yet.... There was some class 4/5 stuff on the American River when I went to the local "guide school", but unless you want to hike a few miles carrying all of your gear, there isn't any way to get to the class 4/5 stuff here on the Kings River. The normal stuff here on the kings (depending on flow) varies between 2 and 3+.

If you find yourself in the Seattle area let me know. I have spare boats and gear under the house, if I'm not gearing up for a startup I can usually break away for a paddle!