Virtual PC for PLC programming software

Vista is just a beta copy

The vista is just a prerelease version for those willing to waster their time and PC on buggy software.

I listen to slashdot review podcasts while exercising. They annouced that VMWare is 'free' too around the 4th of July. How does VMWare make money?
I can see MS making virtual PC free because they expect to sell more Windows XP on each virtual machine. I can't see VMWare making their software free

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Note, I tried making a snapshoot of by VMWare virtual machine and it 'damaged' my USB to MPI adapter. Step7 would not comminicate any more and it said my adapter was damaged. I had to reboot the host system and start the virtual system and reset/select my USB to MPI adapter to get back on-line again. Beware, there are bugs out there in VMWare land. I guess I should report this to VMWare. S7 users, DON'T TAKE SNAP SHOTS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!!!

The good news is that the update rate seems to be fast enough. I have a PCMCIA 5512 adapter. I wonder if I can get that to work?

Peter Nachtwey said:
The good news is that the update rate seems to be fast enough. I have a PCMCIA 5512 adapter. I wonder if I can get that to work?

That's what I'm really interested in. If you can get PCMCIA devices to work with VMWare, I would switch in a minute.

marius said:
Virtual PC, VWare, DOSBox... cool things... unfortunately there is no way how to emulate serial communication for my old systems :(

Hello everybody,

Just want to check if I understood well what I was reading. On one of the machines, I have one application written in DOS that uses Serial port to communicate with motors controler. If I make Virtual PC and install this application will I be able to use serial communication port?

DOS application

Hello Peter,

Ok, let me be more precise... On the PC based touch panel, under Windows 98 communication with PLC is established through WinCC 4.02 project and communication with 5 axis controler throught (I am 99% shure) DOS application. When panel`s HD broke down we changed it and I installed XP Prof, WinCC 4.02 and this DOS application but communication with Pentax( 5 axis controler) was imposible. Then I realised that Windows versions after Win98 are controling the serial port and had to reinstal Win98 and all aplications again. Now it is working. Big problem is communication with TP because it has only floppy disk. I have to find drivers for all external hardware that I want to use. When I red this thread I realised that I can put Windows XP & WinCC on one side and on virtual PC instal Windows 98 and DOS application.

Now I am little bit confused bescause of marius reply, where he says that it is not posible to use serial port with Virtual PC.
I would like you to confirm, if it is posible to use serial port.

Thanks for your replies.

Krcedinac said:
I would like you to confirm, if it is posible to use serial port.
Yes, I have done it but only from a Virtual PC that had WINXP running on it. I haven't ever tried a Virtual PC with DOS. BTW, I am actually running VMWare which works with the USB to MPI adapter whereas Virtual PC did not. VMWare is the way to go if you have doubts abouts the drivers.

Just to add some additional confirmation... Yes, all of the older programming software that I run in virtual pc use the serial port... I'm using PCDOS in my virtual apps.

Hey this is slightly off-topic, but virtual machines are becoming increasingly useful for everyday use and if y'all want to learn more about them and how they can be used, I HIGHLY recommend an excellent Podcast called "Security Now". This is a weekly podcast series focusing on computer security issues. Episode #53 goes into VMWare and Episode #57 covers Virtual PC. Both are excellent.

If you are an iTunes user you can find Security Now in the Podcasting section.

If you don't podcast, you can go to the following website and download an MP3 of the episodes without needing an iPod or iTunes. You don't even have to register.

http://www.twit.tv/SN

I have no connection to this site or to the podcast, but I am a dedicated listener of all 58 episodes! Most episodes are around 40-50 minutes.

OG

I can see MS making virtual PC free because they expect to sell more Windows XP on each virtual machine. I can't see VMWare making their software free
As far as I know... What VMWare is making free will let you use an existing image, but won't let you create one. The ability to create a new image still costs money.

However.. If you want to use some open source items, they do have a bunch of pre-existing images you can download from the VMWare website.(including the open source version of DOS)