Using a Sequencher to transition a pallet through a strapper

carolinareaper

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am fairly new in using a sequencer in RSlogix. I would like to use one on a packing line to transition a pallet through a strapper putting three bands at exact positions on the pallet and once through it will eject to a conveyor. There is a motorized conveyor before and after the strap zone.

Has anyone done something simular to this and would share some ideas on this or a better way to do it. We can use photoeyes to help with the positioning.

Thanks
Ron

I am fairly new in using a sequencer in RSlogix. I would like to use one on a packing line to transition a pallet through a strapper putting three bands at exact positions on the pallet and once through it will eject to a conveyor. There is a motorized conveyor before and after the strap zone.

Has anyone done something simular to this and would share some ideas on this or a better way to do it. We can use photoeyes to help with the positioning.

Thanks
Ron

Ron:

Which AB PLC are you planning on using? Full Catalog number please.

Stu.....

Are you just planning on using the conveyor to position the pallet then fire the strapper or is the PLC going to be controlling the strapper functions as well?

I will be using the following for this simple project. Cat#1761-L16AWA
I will be controlling powered conveyor through the strapper so as the strap is applied it signals the plc and then indexes to the next strap position. It would be great to be able to tell it how many straps then runs the correct program to apply the straps. Once the last strap is applied it indexes the conveyor to a photoeye then is manually released to the rest of the system.

Are you just planning on using the conveyor to position the pallet then fire the strapper or is the PLC going to be controlling the strapper functions as well?
I will be controlling powered conveyor through the strapper so as the strap is applied it signals the plc and then indexes to the next strap position. It would be great to be able to tell it how many straps then runs the correct program to apply the straps. Once the last strap is applied it indexes the conveyor to a photoeye then is manually released to the rest of the system.

Ron:

OEM Strappers that I have worked on before used a Photo-Eyes for Pallet Detection, and a Prox counting Sprocket Teeth for positioning. Also, Interposing Relays to the Upstream and Downstream Systems. Of course there were Photo-Eyes for Pallet Stop points coming in and exiting.

They did not use a Sequencer, just Counters as I recall, but a Sequencer is another way to do it.

Stu......