TIA Portal: Is there a way to upload a new software version via an SD Card?

Mas01

My PLC (S7-1200 with CPU-1212C) has now been delivered to customer site.

They've asked me to do some updates to the software. I can do that on my development laptop which has TIA Portal/PLCSIM.

If I write the updated code to a Siemens SD cards, can the card be inserted into the SD slot on the PLC, so that it automatically updates the software with the contents of the SD card?

Assuming this is possible, Is there any special software I need?

My idea is to hand the card to the operator and say "Here you go, the new software's on here. Just put it in the card reader slot"

Thanks

Yuppers!

Option 1 is having the card in Program Mode, where it just runs the program on the card. You can drag the PLC project onto the card inside Portal.

Option 2 (if the program fits in the built in load memory) is to set up the SD as a transfer card, which then copies the project into every PLC you put it in (could be useful if the customer has multiple systems, or i guess they could send it back haha).

Either way, they need to turn it off before they put the card in, it's just a matter of whether they leave the card in or do another off/on cycle to pull it out.

Yuppers!

Option 1 is having the card in Program Mode, where it just runs the program on the card. You can drag the PLC project onto the card inside Portal.

Option 2 (if the program fits in the built in load memory) is to set up the SD as a transfer card, which then copies the project into every PLC you put it in (could be useful if the customer has multiple systems, or i guess they could send it back haha).

Either way, they need to turn it off before they put the card in, it's just a matter of whether they leave the card in or do another off/on cycle to pull it out.

Brilliant @mk42 - I'll be sure to read through that link, cheers.

A basic question has just crossed my mind:
How do I get the PLC program onto the SD-Card in the first place? I don't physically have the PLC, I've only got TIA Portal on a laptop.

In TIA Portal

grab your 1200 cpu and drag it to the Card Reader > Simatic MC card

Then you should see the Simatic S7S folder and file on your mc card

A basic question has just crossed my mind:
How do I get the PLC program onto the SD-Card in the first place? I don't physically have the PLC, I've only got TIA Portal on a laptop.
see section 4.1 of my link. 1200/1500 memory cards can be read in a standard SD card reader (but don't delete the hidden files, or else). Portal knows a memory card is plugged in, and then you can directly drag and drop to it. Alternately, you can make a fake memory card based on a directory on your computer, and copy to the SD card another way.

From my deep dark recollection, the Siemens PG laptops have SD readers that can format/read/write the cards.

I found this link:
Reading Memory Card! - 189230 - Industry Support Siemens
It refers to a Siemens PROMMer that connects to a standard PC via USB. No endorsement or personal experience with either method...
for old 300s/400s, yes, it required special card readers. Fortunately, 1200/1500 cards are based on standard SD, so no tricks necessary.

That's really good to know...
like i said in the other post, there are a couple hidden files on a the card (as in, hidden in windows explorer unless you turn on the setting to show hidden files) that Thou Shalt Not Touch. If those get deleted, my understanding is you just turned your expensive Simatic SD card into relatively small camera card. Portal and the 1500 display have a "safe" reformat memory card command, when needed.

Thou Shalt Not Touch is still way better than "needs special memory card reader" tho...

see section 4.1 of my link. 1200/1500 memory cards can be read in a standard SD card reader (but don't delete the hidden files, or else). Portal knows a memory card is plugged in, and then you can directly drag and drop to it. Alternately, you can make a fake memory card based on a directory on your computer, and copy to the SD card another way.
Cheers, I missed that the first time I read it. It does say "generic USB SD card reader" in the picture.

So is the SD card reader just a standard one like this (or perhaps with a USB-C connector)? Or does it need to be Siemens branded?
Sorry for the basic questions, but this is all new to me.
Capture.PNG

The SD card reader can be a standard card reader.
You also do not have to use TIA to store the project files in the card.
You can for example copy the existing program from the card and save it to a backup server.
You can send the card content in an email.
You can receive a card content by email, and load a program update that way.
And you can revert to a previous card backup (if the update is not good).
All in all it is a simple and good functionality.