Studio5000 crashes when adding new ethernet module

jroberts3412

Hi all. I'm having issues adding an ethernet module to my project in Studio500 v34. The device is a Fredericks Televac EthernetIP MX gateway which is used to communicate with vacuum gauges. I installed the EDS file from the manufacturer as administrator. It installed with no errors and I can see the gateway in RS Linx. I did use the manufacturers ipconfig tool to assign my desired IP address to the gateway. All of that worked as it should. When I attempt to add the new ethernet module in Studio5000 I right click A1 Ethernet in the Controller Organizer pane, select new module, select the module I want to add "Fredericks EthernetIP MX". When I click create, I get a 15-20 second spin wheel and Studio5000 terminates completely. I did reach out to the manufacturer and they sent an updated EDS file, but I still get the same result so I'm assuming it's something on my end. I do have some older projects that use this same type of device and when I try to open the module properties in those projects it results in a crash also. I did try exporting the module from an older project and importing into my current project which also resulted in the same crash. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the vendor have a generic ethernet option where you can set the Input, Output, and Config sizes and instances?

If it's crashing on older instances that have been configured and operational, sounds like your instance of Studio may be corrupt. Try it on another PC with Studio.

I am having the exact issue with a Pepperl & Fuchs ICE11 io link master. I can add any other modules just fine. I was using v32.12. Just created a new project in V33 and 34 and the results are the same.

Rockwell's Automation Device Wizard (part of the EDS installation tool) had a ton of warnings about the EDS file from the Frederick website when attempting to install. I was able to install a device in Studio v34 using the MX200 eds file.

I just installed the Jan 2024 patches yesterday hoping that would help, but it did not. The original EDS file from Fredericks website did flag around 47 warnings when installing it. The updated file they sent me installed with no issues. I'm going to try this on another PC and see if it's related to my installation of Studio. I can add other ethernet modules without issue. The issue seems to just be related to the fredericks module.

Update - I was able to add the module on another PC running Studio, looks like I will be reinstalling.

Last edited:
this is what I have found from rockwell. I also got the same response from pepperl & fuchs. its an issue with factory talk services platfrom 6.31. The fix is to download V35. Dont have to use 35 but just download it.

So, installing Studio V35 did the trick. I couldn't activate due to license restrictions, but I was able to add the module in V34 and continue my project. Thanks jnewton and everyone else, I greatly appreciate the help!

So, installing Studio V35 did the trick. I couldn't activate due to license restrictions, but I was able to add the module in V34 and continue my project. Thanks jnewton and everyone else, I greatly appreciate the help!
I would reach out to RA tech support for activations and see if you can get v35 activated with your existing license.