Studio5000 and Powerflex 7000

GlennM

Just purchased Studio5000 and have it installed, will be connecting to 3 brand new Powerflex 7000 VFDs. In setting up the module, how can I tell if I need to use MV Drive via 20-comm-er or MV Drive, Fourth Gen Control via 20-comm-er? The ethernet module is a 20-comm-er. The drives are not powered up yet and the contractor will not allow me to power these up with external 120v testing circuit. I'm trying to get a jump on the CompactLogix programming to not delay the startup of the new VFDs.

It should be a fourth gen as they have not made Classic's for some time now.

If they have PanelView Plus displays, then it will be a Forge drive which are fourth gen drives.

The 20-COMM-ER has 2 ports to allow for daisy chaining units together and DLR.

PF6000's are a completely different drive, the PF7000 is fully designed by Rockwell, whereas the PF6000 is a design they got from a company that they bought out in China.
The PF7000 drives are a current source drive, the PF6000 are a voltage source drive and use multiple modules to achieve their output voltage, they also use a transformer on the input.
The PF7000 drive does not use a transformer as it runs at the input voltage, the ones I commissioned were either 3300v or 6600v (but they come in different voltages for different countries), the only PF6000 that I commissioned was 415v input and 3300v output.