Siemens S7: What cable do I need to connect S7-1200 PLC to HMI?...

S7-1200 only has Ethernet by default. You would need to add a profibus CM to talk to a Profibus HMI.

The basic panels come in both Profibus and Profinet Variants; I strongly suggest you try to get the PN flavor of that panel.

S7-1200 only has Ethernet by default. You would need to add a profibus CM to talk to a Profibus HMI.

The basic panels come in both Profibus and Profinet Variants; I strongly suggest you try to get the PN flavor of that panel.
Just to be clear, what is a Profibus CM? what does CM stand for?

Why the recommendaion of NET over BUS?
thanks

Last edited:
Regarding recommendation os Ethernet as opposed to Profibus I agree 100% with mk42. Profibus is legacy technology. PROFINET will make your life easier.

Regarding recommendation os Ethernet as opposed to Profibus I agree 100% with mk42. Profibus is legacy technology. PROFINET will make your life easier.

Thanks
The HMI in my first post must be old standard - it only has profibus interface (description below).
I think I will order a different HMI, one that supports ProfiNet!

Capture 2.PNG

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what is a Profibus CM? what does CM stand for?

Why the recommendaion of NET over BUS?
thanks
As already said, CM stands for Communication Module. It's an addon to the left of the CPU, you get up to 3 CMs for a 1200.

Net over Bus because Ethernet is so much easier to deal with than RS485, and BUS is more or less legacy whereas Profinet is much more common on new systems. Nothing WRONG with Profibus, as such, but since Ethernet is onboard the 1200 (and better), it seems an easy choice.

As already said, CM stands for Communication Module. It's an addon to the left of the CPU, you get up to 3 CMs for a 1200.

Net over Bus because Ethernet is so much easier to deal with than RS485, and BUS is more or less legacy whereas Profinet is much more common on new systems. Nothing WRONG with Profibus, as such, but since Ethernet is onboard the 1200 (and better), it seems an easy choice.

Many thanks for the reply, mk42.

Another strong vote for an Ethernet HMI. If you go with Profibus, you will also need a Profibus adapter to transfer the project to it from your laptop, and those aren't exactly cheap.

Another strong vote for an Ethernet HMI. If you go with Profibus, you will also need a Profibus adapter to transfer the project to it from your laptop, and those aren't exactly cheap.

Cheers for this.
Another basic question: is this ethernet a standard ethernet cable like cat5/cat6 or is it a special ethernet cable for PLCs (like profiNet is I think)?

Cheers for this.
Another basic question: is this ethernet a standard ethernet cable like cat5/cat6 or is it a special ethernet cable for PLCs (like profiNet is I think)?

The Profinet group recommends shielded ethernet cables, but either way, its just a standard Ethernet cable. Most profinet devices only support 4 of the 8 pins on the cable (the old 10/100 standard), but it's the same connector either way, so the extra wires in the cable just sit idle.

Ethernet Cable is sold that is rated to the Profinet spec vs cat4/cat5/cat6/etc, but that's just shielding/testing/etc, it all works the same either way.

Last edited:
The Profinet group recommends shielded ethernet cables, but either way, its just a standard Ethernet cable. Most profinet devices only support 4 of the 8 pins on the cable (the old 10/100 standard), but it's the same connector either way, so the extra wires in the cable just sit idle.

Ethernet Cable is sold that is rated to the Profinet spec vs cat4/cat5/cat6/etc, but that's just shielding/quality/etc, it all works the same either way.

That's brilliant, thanks again, mk42.

That's brilliant, thanks again, mk42.

The nice thing with profinet is that it's just a protocol that runs on ethernet, so your PLC can talk to the HMI and control IO over the same cable that you're using to watch a youtube video.

Also, subtle point, TECHNICALLY you aren't using PN to communicate between the panel and the HMI, PN is for IO control. You're using an S7 connection to have the HMI request/send data to/from the PLC. Big picture, that difference doesn't usually matter, but I figured I'd mention it.

The nice thing with profinet is that it's just a protocol that runs on ethernet, so your PLC can talk to the HMI and control IO over the same cable that you're using to watch a youtube video.

Also, subtle point, TECHNICALLY you aren't using PN to communicate between the panel and the HMI, PN is for IO control. You're using an S7 connection to have the HMI request/send data to/from the PLC. Big picture, that difference doesn't usually matter, but I figured I'd mention it.
Many thanks again . I appreciate this, especially as I've only done Mitsubishi Q-series PLCs in the past, so a lot of learning for me.