Siemens S5 to S7 Migration

I am conducting S5-S7 migration. I post this to those who do it and I can help or ask for help. Currently I have no problem with it

Please read the "Please read this important info" section just on top of this page. It clearly states it is not allowed to advertise on this forum. I suggest you only react to people who are asking for help in translating from S5 to S7. That way there's no advertising at all, only helping. And that's what this forum is all about.

Kind regards,

To Rahail Ansari

You have to look at it case by case. If you categorize in general these three steps are important.

Step 1: Selection of hardware
Selection of S7 controller items, operator panels and other accessories (depends on the applications some needs only s7-controller system and most cases S7-controller and operator panel)

Step 2: Programming S7 controller and relevant operator panels
This depends on the availability of the source code as well partially or completely. Partially means PLC program is available but operator panel source codes are not available (This is very common)

Approaches currently conducting for converting the PLC program
1. Convert the program with a logic translation
The siemens S5-S7 conversion software is available, but it does not convert everything and give error messages where conversion cannot be done where you need to convert those logics manually and place into the s7-program. Although logic conversion is done, general approach is to study the system with the S5 program as well. This will give some clues on designing safety issues and error messages that generally do not occur while studying the system. The programmer should have both programming skills of S5 as well as s7
2. Develop the program by studying the current system
This approach is to treat the system as a new project and study the system and program using S7. The programmer do need to have a knowledge in S5, but this requires not only programming knowledge, but also designing automating system knowledge for safety issues and error messages. The developer should have prior experiences in developing such system. This method can be applied even when the S5 program code is not available
3. Install the manufactures program and do the necessary commissioning to adopt to this system
This can be done only if manufactures similar machine S7 program is available. This needs only the commissioning and testing knowledge of an experienced engineer or technician who has done similar work in the same area. This is quite fast method since manufactures program is already tested.

Similar approach can be applied to programming the operator panels except the fact that the converting the program to match the new operator panel is not a difficult task as in converting the PLC logics. The problem is in most case source code or the software for the op is not available. Even if the op software is available, it can only transfer from one OP to another.

When PLC program is available but OP is not available for converting the PLC program approach 1 and can be used while conducting approach 2 for the operator panel program.

Step 3: Implementation or commissioning
There are basically two ways this can be done. One approach is to remove all S5 hardware and do the conversion. If the machine is a critical machine this approach will have a problem and has to do during a shut down.
The other approach is to have both controllers installed at the same time where switching between two controllers is a matter of minutes. This can be done using a conversion unit or there are certain siemens controllers that can run both programs one at a time and you can have this controller during the testing period. I have not used this controller where this has seen advertised on web. I normally place a conversion unit. But this requires a lot of wiring head-aches and space problem within the panel.

Also, Siemens catalogues are available that provides you a lot of information on conversion which I refer.

I think that this answers your general question, and I only briefed. I would like to assist more specific problem who is doing conversion or get assistance if I get stuck in a certain issue.

Regards
Palitha

Dear Palitha,
Can you help me for s5 to s7 conversion. we have s5 system on our sectional drives, our system consist of two 948 cpu with one co-ordinator and three IM308c profibus modules. All programming on SIPRO MSR.
regards,

S5-> s7

hello,

i have additional tools for converting. In the past i have converted a lot of s5-controller. If you have questions - please ask.

Hello

Can you tell what these tools(S5 to S7 conversion tools) do exactly? As far as I know there are some tools in SIMATIC for this conversion.Do wee need to use extra different tools with SIMATIC ones and why?

I checked the website for more info but it is german dont you have english website?

Thanks

tools

hello,

problem 1:

i convert a program from s5 to s7. i have a lot of function calls with parameters in LAD. when in convert the program there is not possible to show this function calls in lad - only in STL. why? in s5 it was possible. its the same call. please help me

--> the solution is the Call-Converter

problem2: (Siemens-Forum Topic-ID 17889179

QUESTION:
What should you watch out for when converting S5 programs with block calls?
ANSWER:
After converting an S5 program with a block call an error message is issued when compiling the STL source created with reference to the order of the interconnected parameters:
Error message: "Wrong order of parameters for "Symbol" can lead to permutations/shifts ..."
In S5 the parameters are sorted in the order in which they are used in the program. In S7 the parameters are sorted according to type in the order IN, OUT, IN_OUT. The converter adopts the actual parameters of block calls from the S5 without any changes. Therefore the order of parameters in the STL source is not correct. Remedy:
If converted files from the S5 program contain block calls in which the order of the actual parameters does not match the order in the declaration, you can easily correct this by resorting using Cut and Paste. You must make sure that the actual parameters are sorted in the same way as the declarations of the blocks called. Then the STL source can be compiled without any errors.
--> the solution is ChangeParameter

problem 3:

shifted Network Title

--> the solution is NetzwerktitelEditor

problem 4:

find conversation errors and warnings in compiled S7-blocks

--> the solution is CommentEdit (Freeware)

problem 5:

check the complete program for errors (not only for s5-s7 conversation)

--> the solution is S7-REF

@roxtech - the mailadress is ok. please remove it from this topic (problem with bots)

@erdemsvri - the site is only in german. When you look at the videos then you better understand. And you can translate the page with google or other. Its not the best translation, but you can understand it.

Hello

Can you tell what these tools(S5 to S7 conversion tools) do exactly? As far as I know there are some tools in SIMATIC for this conversion.Do wee need to use extra different tools with SIMATIC ones and why?

I checked the website for more info but it is german dont you have english website?

Thanks

You have a tool in the SIMATIC Manager s5-s7 conversion and you can get pdf manuals downloaded that asist to conduct conversion. I have the english pdf file and it is not possible to send it via this forum due to memory problems. Send me your email address and I will send you the pdf file