Siemens Logo or alternative

Tomtom79

Hi,

I am a bit new to PLC and am working mostly with older Siemens and newer Mitsubishi FX5U hardware. Also I do some in Siemens Logo.

So, now I will build a small box which is supposed to, at the push of a button, set an output (pump) during a set time. I will want to change this time freely and easily. I will probably also want to set it to run at a specific time daily in the future (Auto).

So what I thought was to do it with a Logo. For now use the C-buttons for stepping time up/down and right for instant start and left for toggling daily. Is it not so though, that to do this I have to press down ESC first, hold it down and then push the c-button?

The person who will use it most often will be a person not so tech-savvy so this COULD be a problem. And we don't want to spend a lot of money doing something more proper...

So, my question is. What are my options? Is there maybe a DIN-mounted time relay with built in clock that does this functions? I can find times that can do this daily switch on/off. But then, the time setting is a bit tricky and there is no button for instant run.

In situations like this what I have done before is wire a 0-10V pot somewhere in the panel to adjust the time.

Obviously not super accurate, and you are tied to a set range of whatever you program it to be.

Mitsubishi alpha would do a trick and it super reliable and super cheap.
There are ready made timers with good capabilities, but the ones who are reliable are also around price of Alpha and are just timers.
There are cheap timers, but mainly chinese ones. I've installed them more than 50. Battery never lasted more than 2 years, and it battery is soldered.

Hello Tomtom79

You could also go for Unitronics PLC and HMI in one unit.
Programming software is for free.
I think a Samba would be a good choice because you mention that you would at more features in the future?
Think the price for a samba is around 200 euro,s. The Jazz and M series you have to programm with U90 ladder software and in my opinion that is not so user friendly. Visilogic for Samba and Vision serie is more user friendly

Good luck with you project.

Regards
Henny

Thanks for your relplies. I now note that I for some reason dod not receive updates of answers!

I went with a siemens Logo with a few normal buttons and it works good enough. Not very high-tech but good for the user :)