RSLinx Enterprise & RSLinx Classic serial port conflict

caleno

Hi,

I have successfully interfaced a Micrologix 1400 and my panelview 1000. In the process I used the RS-232 DF1 driver/port to communicate with the PLC. Ethernet to communicate with the PV 1000. At some point I had to disconnect RSLinx Classic so that RSLinx Enterprise could communicate with the PLC as well.

o_O The problem I have is that I need to go back to RSLinx Classic, so I can edit the PLC code. But RSLinx Enterprise is still using (Mode: Online) the RS-232 DF1 driver. How do I stop/prevent RSLinx Enterprise from using the driver OR how can I use my RSClassic without this Serial port conflict?

Thank you,

I assume you're speaking of the PC that you're doing development with.

Kill the RXLinx Enterprise process using the task manager.

OR

Why not but a simple ethernet switch between the PLC & HMI and connect your PC to it also using the its ethernet port. I always carry with me a small switch that I can insert in small standalone systems that don't have a switch so that I can have fast comms and avoid scenarios like you describe.

jstolaruk, thanks so much for your reply. I knew I should have used an ethernet switch to ease communications. Anyways, i followed your suggestion and the PLC & Panelview are communicating and I still can go online on the computer with the PLC. Perfect!

I am still however, having trouble with the conflicting ports. Using the Task Manager on the computer to turn off RSLinx Enterprise does not work...RSLinx E. is not there. Any other suggestions? I deleted the RS-232 DF1 driver from RSLinx Enterprise communications windows on FTV.

No, and I just had this scenario a week or so ago and didn't run in to it. The only thing I can think of is to reboot the pc, startup rslinx and connect using the serial port to the processor with rslogix Then start factory talk view studio.

jstolaruk, I found the answer to Stop RSLinx Enterprise Service:
1. Go to Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services.
2. Double-click on RSLinx Enterprise and on the left side of screen click on "Stop" the service.
3. The same procedure can be used to "Start" it.

Once you get RSLinx E stopped you might still get a port conflict message. If you do go into device manager and disable then re-enable the com port. Window sometimes likes to keep an association even though the software has stopped running (especially when it’s a service like RSL. E.). Disabling the com port breaks the association and frees up the port.