RSLinx Classic Stopped And Still Can Go Online With PLC?

Can someone explain me this? RSLinx Classic service is stopped and yet from RSLogix5000 I was able to go online to the PLC. (Screenshot attached)
When I did RSWho in RSLogix5000, finding the ETHIP driver, then finding the IP of the ENBT card, backplane, and then the processor; every level took few minutes to browse. I don't get as to how it could browse with the service stopped. I could not run the service as it was set for manual and I didn't have admin rights on the account I was logged in as.
If I would go Start->RSLinx Classic, nothing would happen and that wouldn't start service either.
Thanks

RSLinxClassicServiceStopped.png

RSlinx Classic can run either as a service, or as an application. Most of the time, it just runs as an application, meaning when you open RSLogix and go online, it starts up in the background and away you go.

Otherwise, you can run it as a windows service, meaning it's just chugging along behind the scenes all the time, and RSLogix uses it that way.

Generally, it's best to leave it running as an application, because when running as a service, you can't actually open the RSLinx Classic user interface (i.e. the application) to make configuration changes to your drivers and whatnot. But some things (e.g. SoftLogix) require it to run as a service.

You can switch between running as an application and running as a service using the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel from the windows Start menu.

RSlinx Classic can run either as a service, or as an application. Most of the time, it just runs as an application, meaning when you open RSLogix and go online, it starts up in the background and away you go.

Otherwise, you can run it as a windows service, meaning it's just chugging along behind the scenes all the time, and RSLogix uses it that way.

Generally, it's best to leave it running as an application, because when running as a service, you can't actually open the RSLinx Classic user interface (i.e. the application) to make configuration changes to your drivers and whatnot. But some things (e.g. SoftLogix) require it to run as a service.

You can switch between running as an application and running as a service using the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel from the windows Start menu.

I understand. But when I tried to run the RSLinx Classic application from Start menu, it didn't do anything and I didn't see any process running under the 'Processes' tab of task manager. Should it not be at least there if the application was running and RSWho required it to run?

In the bottom right on your screen look in the Windows System Tray (where the clock is located) for the RSLinx icon. Right-click on the icon and select Restore to open the GUI.

OG

When you click on RSLinx and it opens as a service it will not open a window.

Instead click on RSLinx Launch Control Panel, then make sure to uncheck the Run As Service box. Now you will have the application open.

When you click on RSLinx and it opens as a service it will not open a window.

Instead click on RSLinx Launch Control Panel, then make sure to uncheck the Run As Service box. Now you will have the application open.

If it was even running as a service, wouldn't I see it in the 'Processes' tab of Task Manager let alone the services that I provided the screenshot for?

In the bottom right on your screen look in the Windows System Tray (where the clock is located) for the RSLinx icon. Right-click on the icon and select Restore to open the GUI.

OG

I know exactly what you mean, and I checked for the system tray besides the clock, expanded by clicking at the arrow and yet I did not see any RSLinx icon!
That is why I am so bummed about this and it doesn't make sense to me.

If it was even running as a service, wouldn't I see it in the 'Processes' tab of Task Manager let alone the services that I provided the screenshot for?

In task manager RSLinx shows as stopped, but if you sort services by name there will be RSLinxNG running (RSLinx Enterprise) right below it.

Capture.JPG

And if you click on Who Active Go Online or Go Online with the RSLinx application not already open, RSLogix will open the service RSLinxNG

And if you click on Who Active Go Online or Go Online with the RSLinx application not already open, RSLogix will open the service RSLinxNG

So that means RSLogix uses either RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise? If classic is not available then enterprise is being used? I thought Enterprise was for Factorytalk View SE/ME only. If all this is true then that's a lesson learned for today then.

I don't think RSLogix is actually using RSLinx Enterprise, just that service.

For the screen shot I posted I opened RSLogix 500 on a laptop using EVRSI activation, not FactoryTalk, then clicked on WhoActive. And that laptop does not have RSLinx Enterprise installed on it.