Rockwell Automation Process Objects Library - Auto Discovery

AREDA

I noticed in Rockwell AOIs, they add a BOOL Output parameter at the end of the "Parameters" list of each AOI that carries the same name as the AOI, and they describe it as follows:
"Unique Parameter Name for auto - discovery"

Does anyone know what that means / why they do so? I'm asking because if this is of value, I'd do the same for our custom AOIs.

(just do it, they said)

Thanks and regards,
AREDA

Rockwell has quite a bit of undisclosed functionality, particularly used on PlantPAX, and I think it may be something related to that. It could also be a trick used by their super duper PlantPAX configuration Excel sheets which use that parameter instead of the instance type to segregate the variable names into the correct Excel sheet.

I also wondered about that myself, but never actually did much around it.