Prolific use of --[AFI]--

Actually, in Version 19 (and perhaps earlier) of RSLogix 5000, the AFI is flagged as a warning. It was not in v16 (and later, perhaps).
So, at least, if there's an AFI in there, you'll know pretty quick.
Of course, for every BAD thing about them, there is a GOOD thing...at least you can (sort of) "see" what the previous programmer was trying to do...he just didn't clean it up.

Yes, the AFI detection was introduced into RSLogix5000 in Version 17. However, you have to have it enabled ....

2011-12-20_103332.jpg

As several have mentioned "AFI" can be used in testing. I have machines that I have built were I left in AFI for maintenance. These are commented as such and while I see the pitfalls I still us them. I do however label them as something other than AFI in most cases and use a specific rang of bits.

That said as a general rule AFI should be deleted when you can so they do not cause issues later. Just make sure when you do remove the AFI you do not open another can of worms. Backup the program as is first then and put it somewhere safe BEFORE you start taking out the AFI. Also never ASSUME that an AFI was left behind because the last guy in there was just lazy.