Programming SLC 5/05 over the internet

Hi all,
As far as remote access to a machine, I found a cool package from http://www.crossteccorp.com/netopremote/index.html called Net-Op.

All you have to do is load the "host" software on a computer on-site that is connected to the machine and set it up to start when the computer boots (in case of power failure at the site). This computer would also have to have a modem and a direct dial phone line.

Then at home you have the "guest" software installed on your computer and a modem.

With a little configuration of the Net-Op software (phone numbers, passwords, etc) you can dial in to the remote computer and "take it over" from your house or wherever you have "guest" installed. (laptop at the airport?)

COMPUTER AT SITE:
power up computer,
Net-Op "host" runs during startup (TSR)
RSLogix runs (or whatever software programs your PLC or other device)
modem connected and waiting

HOME/REMOTE COMPUTER:
click on Net-Op "guest"
dial up
run remote computer & software from where you are

This is kind of slow for me through my 56K connection, but I think they have Net-Op for DSL type connections and such. And being a local connection saves on a long-distance call, for me. They may have solutions for internet also, but the 56K works good for my situation.

And it's relativly CHEAP.

Good luck & happy holidays!

Jim

I can fully confirm how useful Internet troubleshooting is. I have been using it on my last two projects, and I can only report that it takes ALL the stress out of the usual "bedding in" process that occurs in the first month or two of a project's life.

Using VPN's is relatively simple and your Remote Site Administator should be able to set one up for you either with a dial in to a dedicated host, or much better still as a PPTP tunnel that only allows you to connect only to the SLC505.

VPN tunnels accross the Internet are bread and butter stuff for networks admins...and are more than secure enough for day to day work.

At home I used ADSL at 256k and programming, even quite large ControlLogix projects, remotely is more or less the same as being there on site. Uploads and downloads are 2-3 times slower, and editing is shows just a tad of delay...but it is very acceptable..and I'm not ever thinking of going back to dialups.

We just bought a modem router.

I don't think that this is as good as the VPN or those linksys cable routers, but if one has only modem access then a modem router provides password security, router functions and a four port hub. We bought this just to try out to see if we could recommend it to our customers. It works as adverised I present this just as another option.

Netgear modem router

What Ken has shown us is the future. Actually many have been doing this for a couple years now.

I have helped steel mill integrators a few times. I was moving huge rolls that I could not see from the computer room. The rolls could be 300 ft away. I had to be in communication with some one insight of these rolls so I knew when it was safe to move something. Someone also had to have their hands ready to hit the emergency stop button. The question I must ask the paranoid is what difference does it make now if I am 300 feet way or 12000 miles away?

Someone must tune those steel mill systems.

quasar said:
This computer would also have to have a modem and a direct dial phone line.

Jim,

Thanks for the link, but I won't be allowed to use direct dial as requested by the customer. (security reasons??? I dunno....)

Maybe when I am cursing at my US Robotic modems next time, I'll check that place out you recommended.

Hi Ken,
Is your machine still there at 12.228.2.51 ??
I'm trying to get something similar going with remote access via the net & I'm getting nowhere (I have a post today about this).

All the best,
Bazza